When to do a rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I acquired my 2008 Tahoe LT a little over a year ago and when it had 126k miles. I immediately replaced the struts and shocks. I replaced tires recently. 139k on the clock at this writing. Rides and handles good. But I can't help but wonder if maybe the springs and bushings are close to being done, and whether the ride/handling would noticeably improve if I replaced them.

What's the life expectancy of NNBS factory springs, bushings, etc.?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on how it was driven before/how you drive it now. If it feels like it dips/rolls/sways or feels like a boat in other words, its due. What does it feel like to you, do you notice a diff from when you first picked it up? I just noticed yesterday that i feel like my steering is not as tight as when i first bought it, new, now im at 56k. Im not gonna worry too much though, nextbtime i need brakes or tires ill take an inventory and maybe upgrade/update a few things. My 2 cts

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride is good. Smooth. Just barely a little loose at times over bad roads, but nothing terrible.
Maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me, making me wonder 'what if..?'

Creese99

Reaction score
I acquired my 2008 Tahoe LT a little over a year ago and when it had 126k miles. I immediately replaced the struts and shocks. I replaced tires recently. 139k on the clock at this writing. Rides and handles good. But I can't help but wonder if maybe the springs and bushings are close to being done, and whether the ride/handling would noticeably improve if I replaced them.

What's the life expectancy of NNBS factory springs, bushings, etc.?

Which brand of shocks did you go with?? And how do they feel now a year later? Just curious, I'm about to replace mine

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYB Gas-A-Just. Good ride and cornering. Better than OEM, but if I had to choose again I'd go Bilstein.

I went with KYB because I ran a set years ago on a Crown Vic and loved them. But I think the Tahoe could benefit from just a little more control in some cases.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ride is good. Smooth. Just barely a little loose at times over bad roads, but nothing terrible.
Maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me, making me wonder 'what if..?'

KYB's are really more of a sports car like shock. I run them on a few different cars and they are very stiff. With those, you will feel every bump in the road which can give a twitchy feel. On smooth roads they are awesome. You should be able to do a quick check for loose or worn bushings.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KYB's are really more of a sports car like shock. I run them on a few different cars and they are very stiff. With those, you will feel every bump in the road which can give a twitchy feel. On smooth roads they are awesome. You should be able to do a quick check for loose or worn bushings.

Maybe so, but the KYB Gas-a-Just shocks are a two-stage monotube design. This means that minor bumps and high-frequency motions are absorbed well but the shocks stiffen during low-frequency motions such as cornering. I absolutely loved them on my ol' Crown Vic----smooth yet firm, very responsive and zero harshness. I like these KYBs on my Tahoe, and they are definitely better than factory, but kinda think Bilstein is a better overall pick for a full size SUV with a relatively high center of gravity.

Funny: thinking back, I ran the Super Trak Pack suspension on my Challenger, which included Bilsteins. That car rode and handled great.

I checked bushings and they seem okay.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the KYB's, but I think you would be happier with a little more rebound in your shocks. The roads in the D.C. Metro area suck and you may be feeling the tires skipping a little on rougher roads. It just depends on how stiff of a ride you prefer. Have you checked for play in the ball joints?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the KYB's, but I think you would be happier with a little more rebound in your shocks. The roads in the D.C. Metro area suck and you may be feeling the tires skipping a little on rougher roads. It just depends on how stiff of a ride you prefer. Have you checked for play in the ball joints?

I don't disagree.

I replaced all ball joints less than six months ago.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do your shocks have an adjustment knob on them. The ones I used in the past had a 1 thru 5 setting. If so, you could play around with them to see if that helps. I have had KYB's go bad in the past, they are gas adjust and could have easily blown one. If you had one go bad, it will make a difference in handling more than a regular shock would. I hate the roads around here and it's easy to think it's your vehicle when it's really the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442