What's this light for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Whistler

Living the dream! I'm just not sure who's dream
Reaction score
View media item 27069OK, I'm almost embarrassed to even ask this question but as I've gotten older, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. . .

Looking at this picture, on the headlight assembly on the left, starting at upper left, we have:

Lowbeam headlight (outside upper left)
Highbeam headlight (inside upper left)
Amber reflector/turn light(outside lower left)

but what is the clear light bulb for that is next to the amber turn light, and below the highbeam headlight?
I know the fog lights are on the lower part of the bumper(that's another question) but don't know what these are for. They appear to be a single-element bulb, like the old 1156 It's the same size bulb as the turn signal bulb, just clear.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s your daytime running light(DRL). They come during the day when your headlights are off and you take the truck out of park. They only come on in gear and not in park. I have my halo lights tied into them and I also have them modified to stay on at night with my headlights. That way my halos stay on with my lows and highs.

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Well, that's what I thought they were supposed to be, too! From what I can tell, my headlights are on when driving with the light switch in the "OFF" position. What I had thought was that the light in question was the DRL and should be lit when driving, rather than the headlights. I admit this is my first GM/Chevy vehicle, so I apologize for sounding like such a noob! :insane:

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
OK, I think I may know what's going on. I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of crap in the defrost vents, and I suspect that maybe there's something blocking the light sensor for the auto headlights. So, here's the question: 1, which hole on the dash defrost vents is the one with the sensor in it, and 2, is there an easy way to remove the dash cover to clean those vents out?

Nothing's been "easy" so far, so not sure why this would be either. . . . :confused:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I may know what's going on. I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of crap in the defrost vents, and I suspect that maybe there's something blocking the light sensor for the auto headlights. So, here's the question: 1, which hole on the dash defrost vents is the one with the sensor in it, and 2, is there an easy way to remove the dash cover to clean those vents out?

Nothing's been "easy" so far, so not sure why this would be either. . . . :confused:
the sensor is a little bubble looking thing just right of center in the front/center of the dash near the window glass, sometimes they come off the clip and fall into the dash a little, hence if the bubble is not there then there will be a hole slightly bigger round than a pencil in the dash instead, will look just like this

sensor.jpg

OP
OP
Randy Whistler

Randy Whistler

Reaction score
Well, Doubeleive is correct - I have a hole where I'm supposed to have a bubble! That'll get added to the list . . there are still some other more important things to sort out before I worry about the headlights!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792

Latest posts