Whats the difference in these shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88lance

Reaction score
I have the yellow tagged Nivomat shocks on my '05 Tahoe. They have a yellow bordered tag with a number 15029588.
I found a pretty good deal online and ordered some, and the guy sent me something different, some that have a purple bordered tag with a number 15750655.

What are the differences in these? Can I run these, or are they for a different setup?

Onlyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like those that you received are for a 00-06 Yukon Xl/Burb 2wd. They look the same, still the smooth ride air shock. I imagine they may be valved a bit different but take one of your old ones off and compare. They should bolt up. ACDelco 540-532

Last edited:
OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
I was just noticing that on the ebay sites, looks like that is correct. I assume it will bolt up, but maybe it will be a stiff ride? There must be some reason they didn't just use the same shock on the Tahoe and Suburban.
The suburban does have a bit more overhang out the back, which means more leverage for weight to push down. These may be too stiff for the short rear the Tahoe has.
Part of me wants to return it, and part of me wants to try it. haha

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
Looking at the curb weight of the two vehicles, the Tahoe weighs in at 5,000-5,300 pounds, while the Suburban weighs in at 5,300-6,000 pounds. A lot more difference than I was hoping. I may just return them in that case.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
suburban does have a bit more overhang out the back, which means more leverage for weight to push down.
These may be too stiff for the short rear the Tahoe has.
How often do you put heavy stuff (heavy people) in the cargo area (3rd row seat)?
How often do you tow heavy?

If your answer to both questions is
Often
then consider installing them.
If the answer to both is
rarely if ever
then return them.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like those that you received are for a 00-06 Yukon Xl/Burb 2wd. They look the same, still the smooth ride air shock. I imagine they may be valved a bit different but take one of your old ones off and compare. They should bolt up. ACDelco 540-532

To be clear, the Nivomats aren't "air" shocks. Just self-contained self-leveling.

OP
OP
88lance

88lance

Reaction score
How often do you put heavy stuff (heavy people) in the cargo area (3rd row seat)?
How often do you tow heavy?

If your answer to both questions is
Often
then consider installing them.
If the answer to both is
rarely if ever
then return them.
Rarely if ever. I bought the Tahoe as a secondary vehicle for running around town or driving to my other places. It's more of an errand truck than anything. It might see a load of groceries, or something like some boxes put in the cargo area sometimes, but that's about it. I went ahead and filled out the return, I'll be ordering the ones that a member here on the forums has for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19