What's That Smell & How to Remove it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Yukon is officially 9 years old that has been abused by 3 kids for the past 4 years. So the carpet is probably more like a petri dish. Suggestions on getting rid of the smells without replacing the entire carpet?

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen some detail shops use ozonators to get cigarette smoke and other odors out of cars. They seem to work pretty good, plus it gets any odor that may be in the headliner as well.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You could try adding one of the cabin filters with carbon in it. There is a write up on here that shows how to cut the A/C evaporator box to install it.

Also if you can get ahold of some formaldehyde (embalming fluid) you could spray the carpet and that will get rid of any odor but I would check it on a spot of the carpet that is inconspicuous like under a seat to make sure it doesn't cause any discoloring of the upholstry.

OP
OP
YukonCrazy

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try when of those rental carpet cleaners. Can't hurt.

I was thinking about those steam cleaners that stanley steemer uses, but smaller that would fit better in a car. Not sure that exists. Maybe replacing the carpet is the best idea, not sure how hard that is assuming I got a direct replacement.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
They sell those little green machines. I have one, but I've never used it in the hoe. It's nice for those little, tight jobs. Or rip it all out and powerwash it. That'll be at least a 2 day job tho.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They sell those little green machines. I have one, but I've never used it in the hoe. It's nice for those little, tight jobs. Or rip it all out and powerwash it. That'll be at least a 2 day job tho.

Same here. Sometimes I'll add some Frebreeze to the solution

IMG_0563.JPG

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they do. They are great if you have pets. Just make sure to suck some clean hot water through it when you are done. Otherwise they can get a little funky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts