what parts are ok to cheap out on???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand the difference between cheap parts and cheap price but i was just curious what parts you guys think its ok to cheap out on no matter the brand or price. same thing goes for parts that are probably dealer/OEM only. i've heard that with a GM suspension its best to just get ACDelco or Moog, whichever is cheaper. i've also heard that as long as an oil meets API standards that its ok no matter the brand, but obviously other brands have better protection

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ackchyually, get the husky floormats or the weathertechs. Carpeted ones wear through and generic fit ones don't keep muddy/snowy/wet boots off the interior. :anitoof:

But seriously, if you really want to save money, get good parts for anything safety. A ****** radiator might leave you stranded on the side of the road when it leaks, but for key drivetrain/suspension parts you should buy something quality.
A shock blowing might suck but it won't cause a crash. Lose a wheel because you are running lug centric wheels, spacers, or crap hubs, or a tie rod breaks, at 90, and you're going to have a real, real bad day.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe plastic clips but not much else for me. The labor isn't worth it for the few bucks you save. I absolutely hate replacing something again just because I paid a little less for it. OEM or better for me.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i understand the difference between cheap parts and cheap price but i was just curious what parts you guys think its ok to cheap out on no matter the brand or price. same thing goes for parts that are probably dealer/OEM only. i've heard that with a GM suspension its best to just get ACDelco or Moog, whichever is cheaper. i've also heard that as long as an oil meets API standards that its ok no matter the brand, but obviously other brands have better protection

Nothing, not even fuel or washer fluid. The lives of my loved ones are too precious to skimp out on. And on non-life threatening things like floor mats and carpet, as mentioned previously, you get what you pay for.

The hunt for me is to find the best parts for the lowest price.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air fresheners only thing comes to mind and even that is subjective lol.. I always try to buy quality parts..buy once..cry once..I would cross country road trip my 18 year old truck in its current condition.

I can say I've had better luck with less expensive windshield wipers than the more expensive stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else i don`t bother buying cheap crap, Do it right and you do it once. Nothing is worse than having to R&R parts more than once.

I used to work at a garage and we used to install customer supplied parts until i was lucky enough to have to replace a cheap autozone alternator on a ford probe three times in two days and it was a shit job. After that we no longer installed cheap customer supplied junk.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to work at a garage and we used to install customer supplied parts until i was lucky enough to have to replace a cheap autozone alternator on a ford probe three times in two days and it was a shit job. After that we no longer installed cheap customer supplied junk.

What a F'n nightmare! Yaaaa I would have to put some policies into place after an ordeal like that. I can see you cussing under your breath on the 3rd time that same car comes pulling up to the bay door