What made you go with an SUV over a Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04Huck

"I'd rather be lucky than good"
Reaction score
The kids and the fact that I could find decent mileage SUVs wayyy cheaper than crew cab trucks

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

william03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Exactly the reason why I have my Yukon XL!! As a contractor, I can load up my 6 toolboxes, table saw, chop saw, roll of insulation, and everything else I need to install doors for Lowe's, and be able to put a full size 36x80 door (or bigger!) on top of everything, AND be able to close the hatch, keeping everything dry and secure.

Although... If I had my way.... I'd be rolling in a six-door. Just more room for more shit....

View attachment 83537

My parents had (and still do have a 1999 Suburban going on 245,***) I would like a suburban/XL length but got a great deal on the Denali from the in-laws, so can't complain, but lately have really wished I had the extra cargo space.

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an 05 GMC Sierra extended cab for a couple of years when I was stationed in San Diego. I used the bed once and pulled a trailer 3 times. The rocks I put in the bed could have easily gone in my 03 Tahoe. And the trailers... same towing capacity. I have found that most who own pickups don't use them for their intended purpose. They own a pickup for the sake of owning a pickup and use the "well if I ever need to haul anything" or my personal favorite "trucks are safer" (which is completely stupid because no weight over the rear wheels in rain or snow equals an unsafe condition) arguments to justify their purchase. These people belong in the same category of people that lift 2WD trucks or have lifted 4X4's with wheel shine on their 44's and not a speck of mud to be found anywhere on the body or even underneath. But, I have a Tahoe because I can count on one hand how many times I've actually needed a pickup specifically, my wife son and 2 dogs fit a little bit better in the Tahoe because of the cargo area (mine does not have the 3rd row) on road trips, and the NBS SUV's are a little more optioned out than their pickup counterparts unless you go Denali which now kinda defeats the purpose of having a truck doesn't it? Tahoe's, Yukon's, Suburbans, and Escalade's are the ultimate in people and cargo hauling, hands down.

06 Yukon XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More versatile, ability to put a nine foot long boat in the truck and close the backdoor.

Smrtss1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded in a '13 Silverado crew cab for my current '12 Escalade. My wife told me we were going to have a baby and I didn't want my kid sharing the same bench seat as my high energy boxer (no I won't put my dog in the bed of a truck, truck beds are for property not my dog). I actually wanted a Tahoe when I bought the Silverado but they were asking way too much plus with incentives I got almost $10K off msrp. Looked at Tahoe's when I was going to trade in the truck but I got a phenomenal deal on the Caddy. Now I have 2nd row captains chairs (wish I had a bench) for when the baby comes and my dog gets the back all to himself.

rico387

Reaction score
Comfort, short turn radius, people capacity. If I want to carry stuff, I have a trailer with a drop gate that I can walk in. No more hoisting stuff up into a truck bed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 39 foot (4 foot less) turning radius makes that much difference to you folks with the shorties? I notice no difference from my other vehicles that have a 39 foot turning radius. Maybe I just haven't made a U-turn at a tight road yet? Well, with these trucks, I can just drive over the sidewalk if it gets in my way! I had to do that in Daytona to get into our hotel recently. The road was so narrow (A1A), the SWBs would've been on the curb too now that I think about it. To each his own, that's why they make them both!

HaroldLee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Because a very long time ago I couldn't find my guitar the next morning after a gig. I found it floating in the bed of my pickup during a torrential rain storm! Very soon after that I was driving a '79 International Scout, then a '87 K5 Blazer, then a '94 1500 Blazer, then a '99 LT Tahoe. Inherited my Dads '94 Jimmy that became my daily. Next up, a '05 TrailBlazer leading to the '06 Z71 Tahoe I picked up this past week..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins