What made you go with an SUV over a Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up driving g-bodies, K5's and c/k pickup's, always chevy, a few pontiacs and some gmc's.....We always had pickups/blazers/vans between my 2 older brothers and my father. My father was FDNY and a contractor on the side so we always had something to haul/plow/load up, whether it was a pickup, van or blazer.
Fast foward a bunch of years....
My wife had a 4 dr civic commuter car and i was driving the t-bird, i wanted something bigger and we had enough money so........
My grey '99 LS 4 door with barn doors (dog couldnt make up over the tailgate) was because the transmission of the '95 thunderbird i bought new was going (i beat the balls off that car, first and only ford i ever owned), our first kid, a fat lazy 115 lb rottweiler needed a new enclosed ride (pickup with cap was thrown around, but I knew the owner of the chevy dealer and he gave me a good deal on the '01) and i wanted a truck.
The black '01 LS with barn doors (still because of dog, god i hated those doors) was because i loved the new body style (hated leather seats from owing the t-bird) and then the kids came.
The black '13 (took so long to get a new one because of the damn kids...lol) was because the '01 was tired, it was time for a new one and i had a bunch of cash laying around (HA)....
I love my '13 'hoe, should i have bought a c.c. pickup or maybe even a 'burban?probably, but like posted earlier, when i really need to haul something big, i have 2 trailers, 1 open and 1 enclosed (i used to have an '89 dodge pickup for hauling/plowing/going to dump but it was rotting apart and the trans was shot). Those longer trucks wouldn't fit in the garage.....well they would but the harleys and my toolbox aren't going outside and i dont have the funds at this time to build my detached garage yet.....
My reasons for the smaller platform suv.

And thanks, now im going to rip through pictures in my basement because i want to see some of my old cars.....

This post started out with just 3 sentences btw.....

Sorry......lolol

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 kids. Okay, well only 4 are regularly riding with us. Teenage son got our previous family SUV (05 Highlander with the 3rd row). My husband does have a GM truck, albeit a smaller one (05 Colorado). It's nice to be able to have all 7 family members in the car (comfortably so, even!) AND be able to fit plenty of stuff in the back.

06 Yukon XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don"t like pickups and the YUKON XL is more versatile. Twice a year I put my 9' 2" hard bottom deep v dinghy into the truck, close the back door, and transport it to/from my boat up north. Can't do that with a pickup. I also don't like having food spoil or freeze in the back of my truck on trips up north on weekends.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of each. My 2003 Yukon and 2014 Ram 4x4

medium800.jpg

SevenFortyOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife and I both have fuel efficient Toyota Corolla commuter cars for our long commutes but we like to have a bigger third vehicle to use as a backup in case one of those cars goes down and for hauling around our kayaks and camping gear in the summer. For years we relied on my old 2001 Dakota for this task but the frame had finally gotten to the point where it wasn't really safe to drive anymore. Over the winter I started looking for high mileage/low rust trucks to replace the Dakota but everything I came across was ridiculously priced and/or beat to hell. Even 2wd trucks are going for stupid money. Finally, I started looking at SUVs and in particular Tahoes/Yukons and realized that for whatever reason the prices on well cared for high mileage examples were much less than comparable trucks. And since a lot of these vehicles are family owned the examples I came across were not nearly as mechanically beat as the trucks I had been finding.

I ended up getting a fantastic deal on a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 187,000 miles on it. The interior was a little dirty and nicotine stained but some good cleaning supplies, air sanitizer, and help from a buddy who is a pro-detailer took care of that. The truck had had been dealer maintained and garaged its whole life so the engine and underneath are in very good condition for a New England truck.

With routine maintenance I'm expecting the Tahoe will last me several years without an issue as I'll only be putting 5-7k miles on it a year at most. My biggest problem here in New England will be keeping the rust at bay since the Tahoe will be living outside and not driven a whole lot.

william03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A regular cab-long bed pickup didn't fit my family size anymore, so sold it and got the Denali. Though I can't fit a full Christmas tree in the bed (I do miss that 8ft bed) I can strap it to the top and take the wife and tots with me when I do it!

I could probably get away with a crew-cab pickup with a bed cap but the wife likes having everything "inside" and locked when we are traveling.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A regular cab-long bed pickup didn't fit my family size anymore, so sold it and got the Denali. Though I can't fit a full Christmas tree in the bed (I do miss that 8ft bed) I can strap it to the top and take the wife and tots with me when I do it!

I could probably get away with a crew-cab pickup with a bed cap but the wife likes having everything "inside" and locked when we are traveling.

Exactly the reason why I have my Yukon XL!! As a contractor, I can load up my 6 toolboxes, table saw, chop saw, roll of insulation, and everything else I need to install doors for Lowe's, and be able to put a full size 36x80 door (or bigger!) on top of everything, AND be able to close the hatch, keeping everything dry and secure.

Although... If I had my way.... I'd be rolling in a six-door. Just more room for more shit....

Yukon XXXL.jpg

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding a low mileage Yukon or Tahoe is difficult in Texas. I had always liked them but didn't want a car payment and also be dealing with maintenance on a high mileage model. I had got rid of my 2007 HHR I had owned since new and only had 100k, I liked the gas and the utility of the hatch /storage area.

Then bought a 2013 Impala LTZ in April 2016, made one payment and some Dick totaled it. Fast forward to June 2016 and bought a 2013 Passat TDI. I got the fully loaded SEL for 15k and low mileage at 40k...5 days later VW announced the buybacks, and I was being offered just under 30k so it sat in storage for 4 months lol. I only owed 7k on the Passat so it was a good deal to me.

My buddy who sold me the Yukon was an accident. I called to buy his 1993 convertible foxbody his wife has hounded him about selling for several years. He's owned it since new and rebuilt it back when we were mobile installers together in 2009, the car has bee everything. He then told me his mom gave back his old Yukon because she only drove it 500 miles in 3 years she had had it. So, I picked up a one owner Yukon with 116k miles and a dealer replaced reman trans replaced at 77k for $3500. 24s, lowered, esky rails and running boards, and Denali front end conversion. Can't complain other than it does not get the 44mpg the Passat was getting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr