What kinda fuel y'all run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Same boat... been driving a Diesel for the past 4 years and now I am using the 17 Tahoe as the every day driver. Been putting 87 in the whole time, but hadn't thought about the higher gases. Saw online once that unless the car calls for it specifically, then don't pay the extra money cause it won't do anything for you.... but after reading all the comments above, i may jump up a notch and see how the lady performs. only at 3500 miles now

Same here man. 5,000 Miles on our '16 Tahoe. This is the first advanced gas vehicle I've owned. I've had diesel Jeep Grand Cherokees and F250s. I know that high quality gas is best whether low or high octane when compared to average quality high octane.

OP
OP
bigT63

bigT63

Reaction score
Higher octane fuel should not be confused with higher quality fuel. So many people put "premium" in their cars because it's labeled "premium" and it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy inside that they're putting "only the best" in their vehicle. It's not a cleaner or more refined fuel, it just has a higher level of octane. Some brands may put additional additives in their "premium" fuel, but that would be the only exception. The short of it is that octane makes the fuel less volatile/explosive. So, if you have an engine that doesn't need reduced volatility fuel, chances are that you could actually reduce that engine's efficiency (power) by using high-octane gasoline. Some engines have higher compression and/or more advanced timing, and running lower octane grades ("more explosive") gasoline can cause preignition (detonation/pinging/spark knocking).

As for the 5.3, it SHOULD require regular 87. I would hear some ticking that sounded like a slight and random exhaust leak when accelerating at full throttle and reaching the upper RPMs. Just for kicks, I tried 93 octane at this last fill-up and I'm pretty sure it didn't do it the short time I drove it. I only use Shell or Chevron and non-ethanol when/where available. I didn't get a chance to drive it much on that tank and my gf has filled it again, but with 87. I'll see if the ticking has returned and try mid-grade if it needs another fill-up.

I agree wholeheartedly. I learned that many moons back. I haven't Noticed pinging with 87, but I don't drive hard and haven't towed anything yet. And you are absolutely correct when mentioned 'higher octane = less volatile', and everything after that.

Looks like no matter what, no one cares too much for ethanol. I feel like it is just pushed by the govt, making GM provide the claim of higher HP/TQ due to the higher octane, and entice us to use it only cuz it's 'green' even though it causes poor mileage, thus burning more fuel...

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I have read as well. I did run a tank of 87 at some point and there were no issues, but it seems to like 91 @ WOT better.

X2 run nothing but 93 on mine I wish we had 91 here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shunto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not in this year. It was the 5.3 or the Unicorn 6.2 not seen very often

Thats would be nice to have the extra power.. saw a nice 13' about 2 weeks ago... i think it was finally sold...

Last edited:

Tacky

Reaction score
E85 has high octane just because alcohol is by nature high octane, but there is less energy per gallon so fuel mileage drops by about half. It is also prone to water contamination because it absorbs water, with gasoline the water tends to separate. but clean E85 will indeed give you high octane. Which a stock 5.3 really does not need. I would stick to top tier fuels (toptiergas.com) and stay with 87 or maybe 89 octane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11