What kinda fuel y'all run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigT63

Reaction score
Due to the high compression in the EcoTec3, I run 89+ octane. In Oklahoma, we are able to purchase 100% gasoline and that's what I run... I have never paid attention to E85. I looked up the specs on the EcoTec3 5.3 engine we have in our '16 Tahoe, and GM rates the engine at a higher HP/TQ on E85 fuel. I always heard E85 had lower BTU's and your ride suffered poor mileage when used... maybe true back in 07-08 when I first heard about E85. But in the 405 area code, E85 is 2.08/gal and 105 octane.

What's the octane of E85 in your hood? What mileage do you get between both fuels? If you alrernate between fuels of 89/105 octane, what can that do to the engine? I am mine nothing can be harmed since these engines are flex fuel... but just asking what y'all use... TIA.

beachcomber

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use 93 octane every time. I feel that it's better in the long haul. I'm sure I'll be corrected, but works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing but Mobil 87 regular..Got 24 MPG on my last trip from Miami-NYC which was last December.

Have no plans to ever run E85.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 91 in the LQ9, which I understand is the preferred option. It ran without any real issues on 87, but I suspect the knock sensor works overtime and it runs a less aggressive timing map when running 87.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this actually. I never thought twice about running anything other then 87 on my LQ4, but the higher compression of the LQ9 makes me think that the higher octane fuel may be worthwhile.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running 91 in the LQ9, which I understand is the preferred option. It ran without any real issues on 87, but I suspect the knock sensor works overtime and it runs a less aggressive timing map when running 87.

I'd love to hear peoples thoughts on this actually. I never thought twice about running anything other then 87 on my LQ4, but the higher compression of the LQ9 makes me think that the higher octane fuel may be worthwhile.

IICR, vehicles with the LQ9 (Silverado SS, Escalade, etc.) were recommended to run 91 or higher, but not required. I don't recall the exact verbage, but the manual stated something to the effect of "reduced performance" if octane lower than 91 was used. GM's of that era were known to have conservative timing tables. So, you could run 87, but don't run it hard or you may get pinging and even further retarded timing.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IICR, vehicles with the LQ9 (Silverado SS, Escalade, etc.) were recommended to run 91 or higher, but not required. I don't recall the exact verbage, but the manual stated something to the effect of "reduced performance" if octane lower than 91 was used. GM's of that era were known to have conservative timing tables. So, you could run 87, but don't run it hard or you may get pinging and even further retarded timing.

That's what I have read as well. I did run a tank of 87 at some point and there were no issues, but it seems to like 91 @ WOT better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins