What is the chance that GM would fix the vibration/buffeting issue in 2017 models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, that net mesh for the wind deflector sucks!!!!!
It's substantially quieter when you pull down the mesh; I do wonder what they were thinking there.

I wonder if this buffeting issue is some kind of artifact of the truck riding on essentially an ancient frame technology. The rear axles on these are essentially the same design as they were in the 80s. They don't break, though.

Not making any claims, as I have no data at all - so nobody flame me to death. I will set forth a hypothesis that the people who are noticing the "buffeting" are people who have not driven this kind of car much in the past.

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never removed the mesh/net to see if it's any quieter. But I know in my 2008 and 2014 Tahoe's that had the solid wind deflectors were very quiet when opened.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's substantially quieter when you pull down the mesh; I do wonder what they were thinking there.

I wonder if this buffeting issue is some kind of artifact of the truck riding on essentially an ancient frame technology. The rear axles on these are essentially the same design as they were in the 80s. They don't break, though.

Not making any claims, as I have no data at all - so nobody flame me to death. I will set forth a hypothesis that the people who are noticing the "buffeting" are people who have not driven this kind of car much in the past.

I would say a high percentage of folks on other "buffeting" threads have owned multiple tahoes/yukons/suburbans over the years prior to the latest model, including myself.

I've also been in many vehicles with similar sunroof screens and they have never been as annoyingly loud as our Yukon.

FogDucker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I saw my share of rear ends break in F-bodies (4th gen Firebirds/Camaros), but mostly with those running big power or sticky tires. The Ford 9" was known to be nearly indestructible.

One significant change that is worth noting, apparently, "American Axle Manufacturing" who makes our axles, recently moved their operations to Mexico and touts a new machine which can machine our ring/pinion in 2 cuts instead of 5. I'll never know if this is why I had vibrations. I do know that a complete axle replacement eliminated my vibrations.

The buffeting is not normal body-on-frame noise. The previous generations did not have it, nor does the competition, at least the ones that I drove or have been a passenger in. All this "Shakerado" and bufetting talk really only got steam with the new K2XX platform which started in 2014 for the pickups and 2015 for the SUVs.

I do agree that one shouldn't expect car like sound levels in a truck, but now that my wheels are balanced, it's pretty damn quiet at any speed!

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive stated it before, although I love the look of the new Tahoes, I wish I never traded in my nnbs 2014 for the 2016 I got ;(

brendon444

Reaction score
What is this mesh everyone talks about. Do you have any pictures. I have a mesh thing that came in the rear seat no idea where it goes or how it works.

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to my dealer yesterday to discuss my repurchase/exchange.

Drove a 2017. With 20s instead of 22s, and no vibration at all.

Buffeting and booming still there. Actually worse than my 2016.

Although my 2016 wheels have been RFB to 15lbs or below.

So I guess even if the 2017 with 20s doesn't vibrate, we'll still need to RFB them down to 15 or lower.

But I'll probably buy Michelins from the get go.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is this mesh everyone talks about. Do you have any pictures. I have a mesh thing that came in the rear seat no idea where it goes or how it works.

the air deflector screen for sun roof

i assume the mesh is the net that was in back seat is for rear cargo area

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That net is for something else. The mesh is already there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts