What is the best home code scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a Christmas present idea. What is the best code scanner in the $200 or below range?
I have heard that the blue driver unit is pretty good.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2FM7WFBXL97XI&colid=1VKK57ENVOFZM&psc=0

I ran into this one by Foxwell that seems decently rated on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014CT4M3K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3R2C2A037GRO4&colid=1VKK57ENVOFZM&psc=1

Anyone have any other recommendations? My wife has an Acura so one that would work on both would be a bonus.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a craftsman 39853, its a rebadged innova, works fine does abs and airbags, runs about 80-90 on ebay, if you want to spend a little more you can get a tech2 but I really haven't had a need to get one as of yet. I also keep a little cen-tech 98568 in the glove box its pretty cool with a backlight screen and will tell you the code definition without having to look it up pretty handy for on the spot use anytime.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Innova 3160d. It's an older model, I have had it for at least 3-4 years now. Here's a link to the newer version which is the 3160g. https://www.amazon.com/Innova-3160g...ie=UTF8&qid=1512343863&sr=1-2&keywords=Innova

Looks like the newer one has all the same features mine has except it also Bluetooth compatible as well, and a few other new features. I know that at $225, it's slightly above your $200 budget, but this thing is damn near as good as a Tech 2 in my opinion. It does Live Data, reads and records live data as well. It reads and resets ABS codes, Airbag codes, and more. If you have an airbag light on the dealership will charge you minimum or $120 just to read the code for you. I've used mine to view the oil pressure, Air intake temperature, the coolant temperature, and more. You can even check the transmission temperature. Now as I type this I'm reading all the new features this thing has compared to mine, and now I want one! It also says free updates for life, I wonder if mine has that. This new one also has a full color screen, mine doesn't.
Wanna buy mine for cheap? LOL

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot I also use a elm327 and torque pro that's a low cost option the adapter run about $20-30 on ebay and the app is a few bucks only, I recently installed car gauge pro but having issues getting it to work with my elm327

S_wall98

Reaction score
I forgot I also use a elm327 and torque pro that's a low cost option the adapter run about $20-30 on ebay and the app is a few bucks only, I recently installed car gauge pro but having issues getting it to work with my elm327
Any adapter that you would recommend or recommend steering clear of?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any adapter that you would recommend or recommend steering clear of?
I really don't know the two elm327's I have work fine with torq but wont do much at all with car gauge, I tried contacting car gauge and asking what adapter is best but they never answered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne