What is leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meant to post about this months ago. Noticed what seems to be a very slow leak on our 1995 Tahoe, only 70k miles. Appears to be coming from the front axle area, near the CV boot but closer to the middle of the truck, where those circular "plates" bolt together. I cannot pinpoint it but I feel it only leaks when driving and then there are maybe 1-2 drips on the driveway, depending on how long it was driven. It does not leak indefinitely, meaning if it sits for days on end it does not leak. The fluid seems to be getting thrown onto the frame and front portion of the truck, near where the engine shield is. Could it be an axle seal that has gone bad? Kind of surprised at such low miles. Any input would be appreciated. This is not something I'd be comfortable doing myself, depending on what it is exactly. Pictures below:

Leak I.JPG Leak II.JPG Leak III.JPG

Last edited:

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
I would clean everything off with some brake cleaner, makes pinpointing the leak easier.
If equipped, check the oil cooler lines from radiator to engine oil filter plate. Both the lines and plate are notorious for leaking.

OP
OP
D

derekjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would clean everything off with some brake cleaner, makes pinpointing the leak easier.
If equipped, check the oil cooler lines from radiator to engine oil filter plate. Both the lines and plate are notorious for leaking.

Already got those covered. They were leaking when I bought the truck in November. The new ones are bone dry. So whatever is on the underside of the truck is either a new leak or just leftover oil that was leaking. I would think it is a different leak because of the drips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably an axle seal, where the heaviest concentration of gear oil is, just to the left of those mounting bolts and behind the driveshaft flange.

You've got to consider age as well. The Law of Entropy you know.

More importantly, check your differential and make sure it has not run out of fluid!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wish mine was clean enough underneath to see when 1 thing was leaking. 120k on the clock when i bought it and one of the previous owners were not overly intelligent. it was leaking fluids out of alot of minor places due too stupid problems. except the rear main atleast that was legit and ill never do another one of those again. ive handled all major stupid leaks and the one real one. anyway back to your problem could you take another picture thats not zoomed in on that one part. if thats the side i think it is your transmission lines are right above that. axle fluid and transmission fluid have a very distinct odor. try wiping some of the bigger drips off with your finger and take a good wiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9