What have you done to your 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kingdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What have you done to increase hp and/or performance? I have a L94 and can't really find much support. I'm aware of the slight difference it has with the ls3 but unfamiliar with what works together. Looking at a turbo setup, cam, engine management and if any kind of awd management is available. Thanks

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
L94~L92~Ls3 they are all pretty similar, and even the L99 (auto camaro SS) are in the same boat.
since you're specifically asking about L94, it comes with active fuel management (AFM) and variable valve timing(VVT).

If you have your heart set on keeping AFM there are very few manufacturers that have upgraded cams that retain it, and they're all pretty mild, i wouldnt say it doesnt work as there are plenty of nearly factory denali/escalades with blowers installed, but i think even their tunes disable the AFM. The AFM uses specific lifters that collapse when activated to shut down the cylinders, theres more than a few accounts of them failing and if not caught quick enough wiping out cam lobes/engines

swapping a NON AFM cam keeping VVT: (this is what i have done recently)
a few companys sell "DOD delete kits" (displacement on demand=AFM), you'll need to pull the heads, replace lifters, install limiting block in VVT actuator, replace cam (stock or aftermarket), upgrade valve springs, tune out all applicable afm code. there are quite a few VVT cams on the market now L99 cams get pretty radical, in a heavy truck i wouldnt go to crazy.i put mine back together with headstuds and LS9 head gaskets with plans for boost at some point. this is just a very broad outline I havent built any engines in 10+ years but it is all pretty common, take your time... read up on everything.

if you want to delete AFM and VVT, you'll need to do all previously described along with a new timing set, and tune out all VVT code. to which there are hundreds of grinds to choose from. any LS cam gen1-4 will work, however the gen 4 heads are different than previous years and cams specific to them will take advantage flow and valves

turbo set ups: its still dubbed a NNBS truck, turbo kits from 07-13 truck/suv will fit with minor adjustments.

engine management: the E38 ECM is pretty versatile hptuners or efilive are the two most common programs, has stock maps available for 2 and 3 bar applications,

there isnt really any AWD management per se, i dont think you can "tune" power distribution or anything but hptuners/efilive can also control shifts ,timing, torque management, etc via the TCM

OP
OP
Kingdog

Kingdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Randeez your response was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm not trying to change the world overnight but preparing for the end goal. Thank you

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, mine started out deleting the dod ans snowballed into cam, springs, pushrods, ls3 valves (hollow/lighter not really necessary tho) longtubes no cat y pipe, 3k stall, transcooler....lol

OP
OP
Kingdog

Kingdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 1970 Gmc 1500 stepside sitting in my garage waiting for a motor. Kinda wanna through this motor in that and build one for the Yukon. Decisions to be made!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts