What cold weather milage are you seeing out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tire pressure. Frigid temps lower your tire pressure

Last edited:

jamoody

Reaction score
I've attributed at least part of my 2017 Yukon MPG reduction to the engine preferring to stay in 8-cyl mode (vs dropping to 4-cyl) until the engine comes up to operating temperature which takes a lot longer in these frigid temps than over the summer. Over the summer I was dropping into 4-cyl mode after 3-4 miles, over the winter it's been taking 10-12 miles (most of my 45 MPH commute).

Mr CFP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m averaging 15.7 on 250 mile trip to Cleveland. Temps were in the low 20’s and snowing. Not sure what normal would be, just got our Denali 12/29

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like a light switch. Above 50 and I get 17-17.5mpg around town. 20F and below and I get 13-14mpg around town doing the same driving. Tire pressures are 35 at 20, 37 at 50...

I think a lot of people have stated it here: colder air is denser=more fuel per unit; longer warm up times; more V8 mode; lower tire pressures; different fuel; etc... All conspire for lower mpg, I'm just surprised by how much lower!

Wonder if GM has progamming to run rich in cold weather for faster warmup (or any warmup)? I know mine with all the auxiliary coolers (trailer tow package) takes a long time to warmup in cold weather.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if GM has progamming to run rich in cold weather for faster warmup (or any warmup)? I know mine with all the auxiliary coolers (trailer tow package) takes a long time to warmup in cold weather.

Yes, they do have such programming. Higher idle and rich mixture until the coolant reaches a certain temp.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went from New Mexico to Alabama and back. Averaged about 19MPG with my burb FULL. 4 adults, 2 kids and a lot of luggage. I have a heavy foot too being 25 and living by the motto if you ain’t first yur last. I’m impressed with the mileage. My DIC said something like 21.1, it’s a liar haha

aschevfan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Winter blend fuel sucks! The charge you more for putting oxygen in your fuel!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic