What cold weather milage are you seeing out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Road tripping over the holidays I saw average at a dismal 16mpg - down from my norm of 20-21 mpg on the same trip. Anyone else see drops like this over the last few days of frigid temps?

hunter991

Reaction score
Mine on my 2017 tahoe dropped significantly. Usually get over 20 and was seeing 15-16 mpg in extreme cold.

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
Mine dropped from 18mpg to 15.6mpg in this cold weather and snow tire.
Also letting the truck warm up every morning for about 5 min.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having no experience with this, is it because of the increased resistance of the road surface or something else? Down here, the colder it gets, the more power the engines make and run more efficiently. If you can keep your foot out of the gas, we usually get better mileage, not worse. But this and another post got me wondering.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Having no experience with this, is it because of the increased resistance of the road surface or something else? Down here, the colder it gets, the more power the engines make and run more efficiently. If you can keep your foot out of the gas, we usually get better mileage, not worse. But this and another post got me wondering.
With GN's anyway. I was under the same impression.

DSTJ99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Road tripping over the holidays I saw average at a dismal 16mpg - down from my norm of 20-21 mpg on the same trip. Anyone else see drops like this over the last few days of frigid temps?

Just averaged 16.5 on 300 mile trip on 16 xl SLT which I have gotten 20 on before. It was 18 degrees outside most of the way. Have AFM disabled too.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Warm-ups, pushing through denser air at highway speeds, "winter blend" gasoline, increased drag from the cold grease in the moving parts of the drivetrain....

The rolling resistance isn't from the road surface. But there is usually more rolling resistance from people not inflating their tires to compensate for the lost PSI.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288