What are your tips/tricks to negotiating down the dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my number going in. I tell them the number I want. If I have a trade, they get all the information on the truck, but nothing about how much I owe, how much I want, what my payments are. Once they make me an offer on my trade (I've already researched what it's worth) I tell them they need to come up. I usually get top KBB price or higher.

The big thing is to play dealers against each other. If one dealer has the specific vehicle you want, and they're not willing to work a deal for you, find another dealer that is and ask them to do a dealer acquisition for it.

I just traded my 2016 Tundra that I had for a year and 12k miles. I paid 38 for it brand new, got 37 for it on trade, and got my Tahoe for 15% off.

Dealer I got it from originally wouldn't give me more than 35500 for my truck, had another dealer try to get it away from them. Next morning they called wanting to make the deal with the 37k trade (what I told them I wanted, but hadn't been offered more than 36 by any other dealer).

With today's technology, I don't think there is any reason to set foot in the dealership until you're ready to sign paperwork. If they're not willing to deal like that, they're not worth dealing with. If you have a trade get it looked at by a couple local dealers, then you can branch out. Place I got my Tahoe from was over 5 hours away each way. They offered me 37k sight unseen on my truck, other than pictures.

Also, some people don't realize, but even the interest rate is negotiable. Dealers often add on a little % and that's money in their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll also add in that it's good if you can make the purchase as close to the end of the month or the current quarter as possible. Most dealerships will be willing to make even better deals then as they may only be a few more sales away from making their quotas or bonuses for that month/quarter and will be more than willing to make less on that specific vehicle and make it up with that bonus money.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Suburban Saturday and they took another $800 off the internet price that was already $4k+ under MSRP. They needed me more than I needed them because hardly anyone buys a 2WD in Jersey. It was a truck that fit my needs and the deal was good enough to make me happy walking out with the car. However the trade in $$$ they offered on my Avalanche was enough to make me keep the Avy and take my chances on Autotrader. (c'mon now - $7k for an 08 Avy in very good shape? I could give it away for $9k tomorrow!)

OP
OP
P

Protect1989

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on an ask of $61,364 ('17 Denali, 2WD, ACC, Sun package).

Basically I am taking the LauraGMC price of a '17 4WD Denali and subtracting 3k (the cost of the 4wd system). Everything else on the vehicles are the same.

Do you think that is a fair negotiating standpoint?

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last comment I'll make on this topic: I believe that a good, fair, reputable business deserves to make a profit in any business transaction. That's how & why they stay in business and that's how they keep good, fair, reputable staff on board. For this reason, I do not believe in beating-up a decent dealer by pushing for an unreasonable deal.
+1.

In my experience, when you walk in with your research done, your comps in hand, and your tangible willingness to do a deal in the immediate term, a dealer will do the deal as long as it's reasonable. If they refuse, it's usually because of your deal and not their obstinance. They don't make any money by doing bad deals or no deals.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - Just got a call from my insurance broker (State Farm) asking what my interest rate on the loan was. I took 4.9% over 72 months from Chase/JP which was through GM. She said State Farm will do 2.9% over the same term with no fees to switch the loan. Not sure how many of you have a big insurance company (Allstate, SF, Geico, etc) but it might be worth asking.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. Dealers could careless if you walked in with a dufflebag full of cash, they get paid incentives from the lender for you to finance plus they still get the same out of the car.
Walk in with cash and watch what happens. Only way I ever buy one.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walk in with cash and watch what happens. Only way I ever buy one.
No need to, I understand how they make money and it has less to do with the actual vehicle than you think.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to, I understand how they make money and it has less to do with the actual vehicle than you think.
I work at a Chevy dealership so I know how it works. When a guy walks in our dealership with cash or cashier's check he gets hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu