well fudgeroonies is this as dumb as it looks?! removing alternator 99 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Want to remove so I can take it to the alt shop and get new bearings and possibly new brushes. Got bolts 1 and 2 out from the front no problem. Got the plug off and got the pos cable off the back. But there is a third bolt in through a bracket on the rear, and that bolt cannot come all the way out without hitting that coolant line (the one with the quick release) that comes out of the manifold. Really?! Am I missing something here, or am I going to have to detach that line in order to get that last bolt out. If so that is an absolute triumph of engineering lol.

BTW I am guessing that this is the heavy duty alternator. Sound like it? It is a 99 with a 5.7 vortec.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a picture because usually on most tahoes mine included there is only two bolts for the alternator mine is a 2002 with a 4.8 but if im not mistaken the 5.7 alternator isnt all that different

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. You can see the offending bolt at the rear of the alt. It goes through a black metal bracket and into the alt case. Not enough space to remove it because of the hose. Hose is too stiff it get out of the way, and I would not want to try and force or manhandle that particular hose lol.

edit: btw, on a related note, my female side of the quick disconnect is definitely made out of metal. Just for grins I was looking on rockauto and they show the OEM part as being plastic?? Does this mean I'm good to go, that somebody else has already dealt with the mayhem?

alt1_zps745dc261.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol nope! That nut is under a rubber boot in the pic. You can't see that one.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
either flex the hose a bit or loosen up the other bracket bolt and shift the alt sideways to give you the room you need to remove it.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it. The second bolt for that bracket is not accessible, but removing the other one allows the bracket to pivot, giving just enough room to get the rear alt bolt out. Getting the alt out under the AC line is very tight as well. Good grief. I guess I should be glad the alt is not in the lifter valley lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924