Weird Truck Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, should I be getting iridium or platinum plugs? I see iridium ac delco online pregapped at .040 for about 40 bucks for all 8. Mentally preparing myself for cylinder 7 and 8.... :(

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hesitation is the afm...iridium... and personally, i make sure the gap is right on the pregapped.... i dont care what anyone says. :2cents:

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hesitation is the afm...iridium... and personally, i make sure the gap is right on the pregapped.... i dont care what anyone says. :2cents:

This "hesitation" wasnt always there and I been driving car for over 20k miles. Does it just come from nowhere? Spark plugs are cheaper than any AFM delete so I'll go that route first. Thanks for the recommendation on plugs.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share that truck is behaving better. I'm not feeling the lunges I did when stopping as before. It still seems to do the weird mini down shifts or throttle bleeps as I really slow down but the bleeps never seem to take me past 1k rpm. I dont know if this was a natural behavior all along and I just never paid attention. I'm still scared to rev in park to have it stick at 3k rpm like last time but will try that again next time I take a drive.

Plugs are also coming today, plan to change by end of week latest.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM is intended to meet government standards not help customers' fuel economy. The AFM lifters can stick in the collapsed position. When they do this, it requires tearing the engine down to the block to replace them. There are 8 AFM lifters total on cylinders 1, 7, 2, 4. An engine tuning shop can reprogram your vehicle to never call for AFM. Ask for AFM Delete. The shop that did mine used a DiabloSport Intune and charged $150.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you can only lose that tune if you go in for some type of upgrade? How else could you lose that tune? Cheaper than the RANGE .

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More good news, I can rev and the rpm doesnt stick, it comes back down, not as smooth as I think it was before cleaning throttle but huge improvement from before. Making progress, though well over 200 miles later.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i changed plugs And old ones look good. Only issue if anything was Only 1 of 8 was gapped at .040. Car drives the same, i can still create the hesitation which is more of a vibration by going 50ish and putting very light gas around 1300 rpm. Second attempt it was harder to replicate the issue but not confident problem is solved unless it's supposed to slowly go away? Cylinder 8 was a pita. Only one i couldn't torque.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will leave problem alone until i can afford afm delete.

But ran into another problem...i think I'm leaking Coolant. Reservoir is almost out and i found a drip even When Car is off. Suggestions? Uploaded video.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked again and no longer leaking. I will top off reservoir and see how fast it goes. I never had to full up. Will update everyone once i get tune. Aiming for afm tune shop since it may be most affordable route.