Weird Truck Behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any time ive ever seen mine go in to 4 cyl is when im off the gas....to me, its when you get back on the gas that it stumbles, hesitates etc. going from 4 back to 8..... i got the range to stop the hesitation and to hopefully save the lifters and then major trouble down the road, its a def possibility, may not happen but i dont want to chance it. I would feel better if those components were completely gone from my engine, hopefully 1 day they will be but for now turning afm off via 'tune' so to speak makes me feel better and my truck has less hesitation, stumble, etc.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
range ? How much and where? My truck does this nasty shake and you right, it comes when you already moving, let go of gas and go back on but only with low gas pedal pressure. Wouldnt it happen at any throttle if it was related to AFM or does truck not recognize low pressure? Also, if you have the range, why does yours still go into V4 mode? If our cars behave the same way, how do I know if previous owner didnt do a tune or remove afm ?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was before i got the range, doesnt do it now, 8 all the time now. It wouldn't say v4 on your dic if it was previously tuned out

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im only going by my experience, i had to unplug range to get inspected the other day and it came right back to hesitating also, cleaning the throttle body helps too..plate gets sticky... being drive by wire, no throttle cabke, electric signals, i feel, you dont get the response we are used to...a cable from your pedal to the tb or carb, is more sensitive to me... thats my personal feelings tho... people will argue that computers are faster but i know when i step on it i can feel hesitation... there is also torque management involved... many diff factors here compared to a straight cable/carb setup...

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im only going by my experience, i had to unplug range to get inspected the other day and it came right back to hesitating also, cleaning the throttle body helps too..plate gets sticky... being drive by wire, no throttle cabke, electric signals, i feel, you dont get the response we are used to...a cable from your pedal to the tb or carb, is more sensitive to me... thats my personal feelings tho... people will argue that computers are faster but i know when i step on it i can feel hesitation... there is also torque management involved... many diff factors here compared to a straight cable/carb setup...

Thanks for sharing. $199 not so bad. I'm going to start with basics and work up. Clean throttle, then change plugs, then afm delete. Will update you all on my progress.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work and I decided to take my truck for a ride, cold start right out of my driveway, slight hesitation .... mind you 1 month ago, if that, i did a quick clean on the throttle body and maf.....out curiosity i pulled everything apart and the tb was gunked up again so i gave it and the maf a better cleaning this time, edges of the plate and all, didnt feel like pulling it off though, so i did best i could while on the truck.... just telling you because its a night and day difference.... clean yours and youll see a difference.... then get the range to turn off the afm ********...

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work and I decided to take my truck for a ride, cold start right out of my driveway, slight hesitation .... mind you 1 month ago, if that, i did a quick clean on the throttle body and maf.....out curiosity i pulled everything apart and the tb was gunked up again so i gave it and the maf a better cleaning this time, edges of the plate and all, didnt feel like pulling it off though, so i did best i could while on the truck.... just telling you because its a night and day difference.... clean yours and youll see a difference.... then get the range to turn off the afm ********...

Thats great to know. I have 145k miles and have no idea when it was last cleaned. I did a lot of research and seen the best way to clean throttle body is to not take it off the engine, just have someone hold gas to open the plate electronically instead of manually. That way you can clean it without hurting calibration. I'm very excited to see how much of a difference it makes.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened it with my hand more than once then after i put it back together i started it and let it idle for a few minutes in park, no a/c or touching gas or nothing..... off for a minute and idle again for another few minutes... runs and idles fune

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i had someone put car in ON position and hold gas pedal down so plate opens up. It was very dirty. I cleaned it. On idle, it sat normal, 600 rpm. First start was rough. I made sure to avoid spraying sensor side and did most cleaning by spraying tissue then wiping. I rev a little and revs keep increasing after i let go of gas. It doesn't seem to go back down until i change to D or R. It sits around 3k rpm. After moving and going back to park, it sits normal but rev does same thing. I put a mile or 2 in and as i pull into driveway, CEL comes on. The issue seemed to still be there but not as bad. Will see what CEL about tomorrow. Hoping car needs to learn. Any suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88