Water pump leaking after about 2000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is this the weep hole or something else. It is a lifetime warranty piece from o'Reilly auto parts.

IMG_0124.JPG

Last edited:

brasil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can´t see any coolant... do you have another pic ?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weep hole is on the UNDERSIDE of the pump housing.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the pump. It was fine for a little over a week. It has started leaking again. It isn't enough to find the leek though at present. I used the gaskets that came with the pump as well as rtv silicon.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some searching I decided to change the radiator cap. No leaks this morning after a 45 min drive.

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This afternoon. Leaking in the rear against the block below the bottom water pump bolt pass side.

IMG_0239.JPG IMG_0240.JPG

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy the felpro gaskets that are more like stock with the rubber o ring. Has anyone tried these? Do they require rtv?

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously used the paper thermostat gasket that came with the pump. The new thermostat I purchased during the original install came with the o ring installed. I am going to try the new felpro rubber gasket this time instead. Maybe that is the issue...

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the new gaskets and cleaned the front of the engine. Initially no leak after running for about 10 mins. Go inside, shower and go take a look. Small leak. It is dripping from behind the water pump. It is leaking one drop at a time dripping onto the timing cover where it expands outward around the crank.

I examined the week old pump it looks fine. It is a Murray from o' Reilly.

Any ideas? I am tired of wasting time and money on this one.

sefiro

Reaction score
Never had problems with aftermarket water pump mating to block - so maybe a bad pump (warped?).

I have had problems with thermostats though. There are two different thermostat housing sizes so I now bring housing with me to consolidate and match. Eventually went with a stant thermostat, the the thicker print, no paper gasket but rtv to eventually eliminate the leaks that are common here

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods