Water leak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wu6fiend

Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision, replacing my 2009 Yukon Denali with my new 2016 Yukon Denali.

Got into the truck this morning, and drip-drip-drip, I've got a water leak. Headliner above the A pillar on the driver side is discoloured, and wet to the touch. Truck has 4000 km on it, no accidents.

I have to wait a week to get it into the dealership, and it is monsoon season here. I can park under cover at work, but at home the truck has to stay in my driveway.

I'm so pissed right now. A friend has a new Silverado HD, and he had to take it in twice to get a water leak fixed. First they replaced the Onstar antenna gasket. Still leaked. Then they discovered a drain hose from the sunroof had come loose.

Its got to be one or the other. With my luck, they will damage the headliner pulling it apart to see where the water is coming in. I notice at the back of the Onstar antenna, the black rubber gasket has a tiny little slit in it. Maybe another owner can check, do all these gaskets have that tiny slit?

YukonCpt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine is
I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision, replacing my 2009 Yukon Denali with my new 2016 Yukon Denali.

Got into the truck this morning, and drip-drip-drip, I've got a water leak. Headliner above the A pillar on the driver side is discoloured, and wet to the touch. Truck has 4000 km on it, no accidents.

I have to wait a week to get it into the dealership, and it is monsoon season here. I can park under cover at work, but at home the truck has to stay in my driveway.

I'm so pissed right now. A friend has a new Silverado HD, and he had to take it in twice to get a water leak fixed. First they replaced the Onstar antenna gasket. Still leaked. Then they discovered a drain hose from the sunroof had come loose.

Its got to be one or the other. With my luck, they will damage the headliner pulling it apart to see where the water is coming in. I notice at the back of the Onstar antenna, the black rubber gasket has a tiny little slit in it. Maybe another owner can check, do all these gaskets have that tiny slit?
brand new and has the slit

OP
OP
W

wu6fiend

Reaction score
Dropped it off this morning. Noted with interest that directly ahead of me in line was a brand new HD Silverado. The service advisor confirmed that the Silverado also had a water leak. He checked my antenna, and told me it needed to be replaced, as did the antenna on the Silverado. They are overnighting the replacement antenna, and the Yukon should be ready tomorrow by end of day.

What is really funny: my courtesy car is a late model Suburban LTZ. Didn't check the year, but it is the new 2015+ style. The headliner above the A pillar on the drivers side is discoloured, exactly like mine, indicating that the rental has (at least at one point) had a water leak too.

OP
OP
W

wu6fiend

Reaction score
Yukon is back. Headliner is now dry and unstained. Invoice states they checked the sunroof drains, and water flowed through them without blockage. Confirms water was leaking from high frequency antenna. Also there was "noticeable dimples in the mounting area of the high frequency antenna" so the body shop had to repair those. New antenna was installed.

Interesting about the "noticeable dimples". I don't know how these antennas are installed, by a human worker (as opposed to a robot). Perhaps the screws are too long, or the torque setting on the wrench is too high, or the sheet metal the antenna is attached to thin.

Anyway, something for other 2015+ full size GM SUVs (and 2014+ GM pickups) to watch for.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe they used a paintless dent removal technician to take the dimples out.

khiroshima

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the exact same issue and the GMC dealer knew of the problem, fixed the leak, replaced the bad OnStar antenna and I was back in business. This was a BS issue, but at least they knew what to do and it has been fixed ever since. I felt the same (wondering if I made a bad decision with GMC), but it hasn't given me a problem since, good luck! KH

Grimmysnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know I am a new member, but I have lurked for a while. I also frequent a few other forums too. You may want to check into this campaign:

# 15183: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Driver's Side Front Roof Ditch Molding Water Leak - (Mar 18, 2015)

Subject: 15183 - Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Driver's Side Front Roof Ditch Molding Water Leak - Expires with Base Warranty

My 2015 Yukon XL sprung a leak on the driver side in this area. Took it to dealer and they suspected the sunroof leaked or something. Never saw a leak again. The campaign has you remove the plastic strip molding on the driver side roof in front of the rail. It is in the little track there. If you remove that, the campaign seals up the area with some RTV and then puts the molding back in there. Apparently the tack weld between the roof and side panels isn't quite water tight.

This might not apply to yours, just figured I would throw it out there. Good luck :)

CarolinaCoastal18

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know I am a new member, but I have lurked for a while. I also frequent a few other forums too. You may want to check into this campaign:

# 15183: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Driver's Side Front Roof Ditch Molding Water Leak - (Mar 18, 2015)

Subject: 15183 - Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Driver's Side Front Roof Ditch Molding Water Leak - Expires with Base Warranty

My 2015 Yukon XL sprung a leak on the driver side in this area. Took it to dealer and they suspected the sunroof leaked or something. Never saw a leak again. The campaign has you remove the plastic strip molding on the driver side roof in front of the rail. It is in the little track there. If you remove that, the campaign seals up the area with some RTV and then puts the molding back in there. Apparently the tack weld between the roof and side panels isn't quite water tight.

This might not apply to yours, just figured I would throw it out there. Good luck :)

Just wondering if you can share a picture of where this is? Thanks!