Water issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobby Hill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes they do but if they are plugged it can build up water and come in through the speaker opening or whichever opening is lower in the door, leaking to the inside. It has happened to me on other trucks I have had. Now I just got this Tahoe so this is just my two cents for what its worth. I haven't done any disassembly yet.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we got a 05 silverado at work, in the summer ac on full blast water would flow from the blower motor area, then it started to leak on both sides when it rained hard.

what i found was hood open reach in to the side of the cowl at the fire wall, just past the hood hinge theres a rubber cap on the side of the metal part of the cowl, behind it gets packed with dirt, as you dig it out water comes with it, cleared out both sides, then stuck a hose in one side and flushed it out, its a landscaping truck so every other year it needs to be checked and or cleaned again.

ive also heard this is the cause of blower motor resistor failures too. not sure im buying that 100%, but if its getting wet you can lean that way. ive seen them fail when i knew the cowl was clear in my own trucks.

Gyrene84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
we got a 05 silverado at work, in the summer ac on full blast water would flow from the blower motor area, then it started to leak on both sides when it rained hard.

what i found was hood open reach in to the side of the cowl at the fire wall, just past the hood hinge theres a rubber cap on the side of the metal part of the cowl, behind it gets packed with dirt, as you dig it out water comes with it, cleared out both sides, then stuck a hose in one side and flushed it out, its a landscaping truck so every other year it needs to be checked and or cleaned again.

ive also heard this is the cause of blower motor resistor failures too. not sure im buying that 100%, but if its getting wet you can lean that way. ive seen them fail when i knew the cowl was clear in my own trucks.

Could you post a picture of that?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of that?

i look and see if its the same on my truck, the work truck is parked for winter, and im laid off till spring.

ill see if i can get a pic of my own tomorrow.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here ya go, it seems to be the over flow drain for the cowl. the bottom part just flaps free there.

the work truck was 100% clogged up with mud grass twigs, what ever gets in the holes of the plastic cowl all ends up here. so if you drive dirt roads, park under dirty trees, even parked on a dusty road could do it.

pass side.
002.jpg

pass side
008.jpg

driver side, you can see a water trail under this one for sure.
004.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ronnie Watkins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gonna try to pull cowl this weekend! Door seals are all good. Just replaced both front ones. Really didn’t want to pull the cowl but I guess that’s my best bet. The top windshield seal seams fine and not shure about windshield being replaced or not. Only had about 4months.
Pulled crown and also checked all door seals and still no luck! I can’t determine where water is coming from?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i too found myself with a wet pass front floor, seen some yt vids, cowl, door wiring accordion being loose, weather stripping, windshields leaking and sun roofs.

mine is wet door sill to 1/2 way to the console. the carpet up to the fire wall was dry, the foam under the black plastic was dry from 1/2 way up, kick panel off the side behind the black cover down low the padding in that hole felt damp.

so i went and did a water hose test today being its gonna rain for the next 2 days here so i could maybe find and fix it before all the rain.

well i got no water inside at all. had the A pillar off, rug up, water in the cowl, nothing, down the door to fender, nothing, the mirror and down the door window, nothing, focused right on the bottom of the windshield, nothing, then went to the side of the windshield and then the sun roof, still nothing.

im not often found at a total loss, but damn wtf?

and im 100% sure its just water, not coolant. coolant has that slick feel to it, this is just water.

some how i think its getting in the body from behind that black cover behind the kick panel. its the only thing i found damp other then the carpet and foam under it.

so i went and laid towels under the plastic and foam to the fire wall, then stuffed one in the hole behind the kick panel. then one along the sill. its supposed to rain good, surely one of those towels will be wet and narrow this down some.

any other ideas im all ears.