Water in Headlight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mccullionj

Reaction score
We have an 07 Yukon Denali and constantly have moisture on the lens inside the drivers side headlight.

no visible cracks or anything. Any ideas where it may be coming from or best way to locate the entry point, dry it out, and seal it up?

hbr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing here........thought about trying to seal it but bought a used OEM off ebay

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I'm guessing where it meats from half to half is cracked or just let's in water. Try putting some light coating of something water resistant. I was gonna say tape but then it would look ghetto

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
1) Remove headlight
2) preheat oven to 200 degrees
3) place wax paper on cookie sheet, followed by light.
4) bake 10-15 minutes
5) remove from oven and quickly pull lense off housing
6) using a heatgun to help keep original sealant warm and gummy, thuroughly remove old sealant from lense and housing.
7) apply new sealant to edge of lense
8) press housing and lense together
9) wrap with several bunjee cords that are stretched to the max, or tightly wrap with duct tape with sticky surface not against lense. This should stay this way for 24-48 hours to ensure a good seal.
10) reinstall headlight

If you don't feel like doing this, and you only have moisture on the inside, take a silicon packet normally found in new clothes pockets or shoes and try sticking it in the light. It'll absorb the moisture and keep it dry.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

houstontaylor

Reaction score
We have an 07 Yukon Denali and constantly have moisture on the lens inside the drivers side headlight.

no visible cracks or anything. Any ideas where it may be coming from or best way to locate the entry point, dry it out, and seal it up?

Based upon my experience, the lightbulb gaskets get old and loose over time and running through water sprays it on the area where it plugs into the lenses, forcing it into the lenses. After removing the lens and drying it with a hair drier and reinstalling everything, I wrapped the areas where each bulb inserts with non residue duct tape to shield them from the water spray. Just went through a heavy rain and drove through deep water without it getting into the lenses again. Seems to work. The dealer says I must buy new bulb sockets to get new gaskets which I don't really want to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal