Wash/Detail supplies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use to wash and detail your ride?
I need opinions on soap, wax, tire/trim shine, mitt or rag, microfiber, ETC.
In the past I would just grab some dawn dish soap and cotton rag. My new ride is black and every little swirl shows up. Time to rethink car wash time.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the range of inexpensive, easy to use, and broadly available products from Meguiar's.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This site has so much info your head will explode.
http://www.autogeek.net/

And of course the TYF Detailing thread.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forums/detailing.41/

I have many products from different companies. Some guys are brand loyal without fail. Grit guards, 1 or 2 buckets, different mitts for the paint, wheels, inside of the wheels and wheel wells. Good soap, not dish soap. Waffle weave towels and lots of microfibers that all get washed often to keep them clean.

Some products are personal choice and I cross over and use some marine related products as well. Time and patience will help you win with that black paint. It's a second job without pay. lol

Last edited:

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a weekend warrior detail guy. I do my own cars and some of my friends.
Here is what I use:

FOR REGULAR WASH:
-2 bucket system: one rinse one wash, both with grit guards.
-2 microfiber wash mitten, one in each hand
-a power washer, I use karcher K2
-Some Quality Soap, I use Chemical guys: "Mr. Pink"
-A gigantic microfiber drying towel, I use Chemical guys "Wooly mammoth drying towel"
-Once dried, I use a different from above microfiber towel, not as large but as thick and finish up all the little water spots with some instant detailer, any brand of your liking would do
-I used a different small microfiber towel for door sills and door jam along with some instant detailer.
-Glass: again different micro. towels: one I keep dry, the other I spray a little bit of window washing spray, then there is this triangle window cleaning tool that does wonder for inside windshield.
I do wheels and Tire Last: Wheels I get majority of dust brake and pollution out by spraying wheel cleaner, letting soak, then power spray it off, I finish the wheels with dedicated separated towel and some instant detailer to remove the last little bits of dirt/dust.

OP
OP
Kenny D

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll slowly build a wash detail kit. My new ride was professionally detailed when I got it. I want to retain that look. Thanks for the links and replies.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kenny D,

I aslo slowly built up my detailing gear, I carry all of it in a heavy duty cart, which really helps keeping track and access of the different product, at the bottom of the car I have 2 baskets, one for clean towels/mits, one for dirty. this along with the right gear helps me be more consistent, especially for these time when time is limited....
I didn't give any details on how to remove scratches and swirl marks on darker vehicle as this is a whole other subject which I recommend the link the person above posted.
Youtube channel: AMMO NYC is an amazing source to get all the pro tips on anything detail related!

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two words:

Chemical Guys...

I used many others, Meguiars, Mothers, Griots, etc... So far Chemical Guys produces the best results with the least effort.

Most importantly--have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep