W8TVI's 2000 Yukon XL SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent a few hours tonight trying to figure out where to mount my new air horns, and only managed to mount the horns themselves. I still am working on a location for the pair of on-demand compressors (it looks like it will take an excessive amount of zip ties to make it work)

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh.

Though I was finished.
Seems I have a couple of bad relays.

Relays click but don't pass power on the proper terminals.
Checked and double checked my connections. Everything is connected where it should be.

Going to have to pick up some relays and a fuse tap to pull the signal from the horn relay.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Sounds like a pain, gonna be crazy loud when done.
Pics of horns mounted ?

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is a good LED light to put in the low beam of the projector style Denali lights? I have OEM ones and am still running the original halogen bulbs.

bump...... don't want to hijack or start a new thread :)

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pain, gonna be crazy loud when done.
Pics of horns mounted ?

Yep, it was a pain for sure, but at least they are very loud... Almost as loud as my subs. :D

So I used a fuse tap to pull power to trigger the relays. It has two slots for fuses. The bottom fuse allows the original horns to work (and the alarm to chirp when armed), but it also worked out so the chirp doesn't sound the air horns. I'm thinking about fixing the second OEM horn so I can have dual stock plus the air horns.
20170221_212344.jpg

Here you can see my wiring mess so I could at least have it done.
I might come back later and do something about it.
You can also see where my brake lines are leaking where my mechanic fixed them. Still got to take it in and have them fix that. Slow leak at least.
20170221_213951.jpg
Next you can see the mess I had to leave just to get the horns and compressors tied down some how.
I have some blue high density foam between the short trumpet and the AC line to make sure they don't hit and rub.
20170221_212437.jpg
Detail showing the dual compressor location:
20170221_212427.jpg

I've installed air horns on 4 trucks before, but they all had room on the fenders or radiator mount to put one of these compressors... There is just no room in this truck, especially for a pair or compressors and the horns.

A friend told me that his dad ended up installing them to the hood. I might have to investigate that option, but I don't think it will help me that much.

This was a real mess getting these to fit. I still need to figure out something better for the compressors.

(Yes, I did clip the ends off most of the zip ties when I was through.)

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice!! sound off your air horns and cool your engine off at the same time :insane:

Yea they pack in the parts in these trucks, and the newer trucks have even less room. Good thing that 2nd battery location is there.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!! sound off your air horns and cool your engine off at the same time :insane:

Yea they pack in the parts in these trucks, and the newer trucks have even less room. Good thing that 2nd battery location is there.

I wanted to install them behind the grille but there wasn't anyplace to fit anything this large.
I even looked under the back of the bumper, and the only thing I could find that was solid (and had room to fit them) would have been the frame rails.
I just couldn't find any good locations for these monsters.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So instead you are hijacking my build thread?

:badidea: :flame::flame::flame::grumpycat::yuno:

I'm not using LEDs in my projectors.
Why would my build thread be a good place to ask?
Go post in the exterior board, here.
my bad. Don't visit the forums much any more. You seemed knowledgeable on this just looking for help thats all. Guess I'll start a new thread and see if someone chimes in.:sorry:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd