VVT fix or delete with normal cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the magnet that actual changes the cam timing is bad? Wonder if that's my issue too...o don't have a fancy device to test thou lol

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the magnet that actual changes the cam timing is bad? Wonder if that's my issue too...o don't have a fancy device to test thou lol

It's gotta be that or the solenoid itself I would think.

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got HP tuners today and the first thing I did was disable the VVT and set the a/c to turn off above 60% throttle. Took it for a test ride and no check engine light. Eventually I'll get to fixing the root problem by putting a different cam in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know if you notice a slight decrease in highway mileage and full throttle power (probably slight enough to only be measured at track or dyno).

Ohh, just the saw the older post where you got hold of a Tech2, great! Now you can do almost anything with both systems!

Last edited:

sfc_jones

Reaction score
If you want to delete the AFM, Install LS7 Lifters and a LS7 Cam. Call Texas Speed, They have a complete kit for almost a 1k and they can also do delete tune as well. I chose to have mine tuned on a dyno. Luckily my son works at a performance shop so I got free labor.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the HP tuner? I assume that that gives a great deal of freedom with the tuning. Are there resources to help with tuning guidance?

What is the biggest drawback with the VVT?

OP
OP
LanceD

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP tuners is great, practically unlimited with what you can do. There are tons of tutorials and training resources for it. I’d hold off on getting the new model until they work out the kinks.
As for the VVT it provides a flatter torque curve and I left it turned on for now until the cam swap.
The DOD has been disabled for a while now and I haven’t noticed a difference in fuel mileage.

volfan84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i think people get vvt and afm mixed up. I don't think you can just turn off vvt. there other things that have to be done. there really isn't a drawback to vvt. its the best of both worlds. I wouldn't get rid of it unless you are planning on going FI. other than that I would keep it, and that includes cam swap. texas speed makes several vvt cams and they actually do a better job. here is a vvt delete kit https://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx
afm (active fuel management) is what everyone wants to turn off. that's what make your vehicle go into 4cy mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout