Vortec Build- need more power!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Slowly Big Blue has been getting some much necessary attention to the motor. Runs like a top, but had to improve her performance some more. So far I have changed out the plugs for Iridiums (the old looked like the originals, no joke, extremely rusted), bought Taylor Wires 40 Ohm wires, new Summit 48,000V coil, and Performance Distributors Vortec Dyna Mod. I noticed a big difference just with the wires at first.

Right now I have the AC Delco MPFI injector assembly coming Saturday, because I know there's a leak somewhere in that Spider. I was thinking of upgrading the cam to an Elgin .210/.215 @0.050 with new lifters, but may wait til the end of the year. However, in June, I will be doing the 0411 swap with Super Tune from PCMPOWERTUNES. This weekend will include the new MPFI and before and after shots of an Amsoil motor flush, and new valve cover gaskets.

What are everyone's thoughts? Sound like a good setup? What else would you guys consider doing, besides a supercharger? I have 3.73 gears on 33" tires, maybe a gear change? I'm open to opinions and ideas! Bring them on!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears, higher stall converter, if you are going thru the trouble of swapping cams I would do some more research, that is a fairly small cam.

OP
OP
bigfootchiro

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gears, higher stall converter, if you are going thru the trouble of swapping cams I would do some more research, that is a fairly small cam.

Higher stall definitely with the cam change, but after all the research I did, seemed like that was the largest cam I could get away with without doing any head work. Maybe I'm wrong? Idk, definitely new to the cam game!

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no cam expert or anything, so I can't give very much advice there. Just be aware that you will need a tune after the cam. I saw someone asked about the biggest cam he could use without a tune, so I'm just making sure you are aware of this. The cam I have, I need to change the rockers on, and that requires headwork. Not ready for that yet.

Have you noticed any kind of difference with that Dynamod? I didn't even know they had one that would work on a Vortec. My ENTIRE ignition system has been replaced since my rebuild. This may be something I should look into.

A gear swap would be good, but I'm sure you already know how bad the MPG suck. Get ready for that to get worse. I see you're running 33" tires. The 3.73's are fine for those, but if you plan to put some monster tires on it, that gear swap will definitely help out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justin Case