Vibration at high speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Hogaboom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife stated that when she drives on the highway, she noticed vibration/shaking on the body at high speed so would that be worn out engine/transmission mounts? wheel bearing? what do we look for to reduce the vibration?

this is on a 04 yukon xl denali 6.0l with ride control service warning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ride control could be a blown air shock or shock's, bad air pump, leaking air pump, or a height sensor, or a height sensor throwing the code because of a blown shock, best thing to do is scan it for a code which tells you the specific problem (usually), vibration is usually tires if not power train related and some minor vibration depending on how fast you are going, the road condition, tire tread/wear, etc is normal and sometimes unavoidable. when was the last time the tires where balanced?, I would start with a scan for the ride control and go from there, many auto parts stores like autozone, o'reilly's, etc will run a scan for free or any cheapy scanner will tell you the exact same code a more costly one would.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hogaboom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ride control could be a blown air shock or shock's, bad air pump, leaking air pump, or a height sensor, or a height sensor throwing the code because of a blown shock, best thing to do is scan it for a code which tells you the specific problem (usually), vibration is usually tires if not power train related and some minor vibration depending on how fast you are going, the road condition, tire tread/wear, etc is normal and sometimes unavoidable. when was the last time the tires where balanced?, I would start with a scan for the ride control and go from there, many auto parts stores like autozone, o'reilly's, etc will run a scan for free or any cheapy scanner will tell you the exact same code a more costly one would.

the wheel/tires, they're about 1 year old on it I believe (I purchased it from the previous owner who said that the wheels are fairly 1 year old)

the roads on the Utah highways are mostly in fair good shape but when we slow down, the vibration reduced but when we sped up then the vibration became stronger. I think I have a obd2 scanner that I have on the volkswagen, it should be able to read the GMC codes? no?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the wheel/tires, they're about 1 year old on it I believe (I purchased it from the previous owner who said that the wheels are fairly 1 year old)

the roads on the Utah highways are mostly in fair good shape but when we slow down, the vibration reduced but when we sped up then the vibration became stronger. I think I have a obd2 scanner that I have on the volkswagen, it should be able to read the GMC codes? no?
yes any obd2 scanner will work, you may want to inspect the drive line u-joints and pinion, they are known to be the source of vibrations at speed also. park on a flat surface and grab hold of the drive line near the pinion and try to jiggle it there should be no play at the pinion, sometimes the sign of a bad pinion is also a grease leak right there where the drive line enters the rear differential, the u-joints should have no play in them either, they may move a little which is there purpose but they shouldn't have free play.

OP
OP
B

Brian Hogaboom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked the codes on the suv, there was only one which was the MAF that might need some rubber alcohol and ziplock bag to clean and rinse. Nothing else than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it found pretty quick. Mine had been vibrating at about 70 mph and it the transfer case started leaking. Couldn't find where it was coming from until I removed the actuator from the side of the transfer case and saw this. Cracks in the case at the stiffeners. I think it is my front diff or my rusted front driveshaft that caused the cracks. 005.JPG
004.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon