Vibration at 50mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devilmk4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup guys i need help i get this vibration at around 50mph if i let go it goes away or if i give it more gas aswell. Is like am driving on the drunk strips on the highway. I just replaced the pitman idler etc thinking also it was causing that. Anybody know?

OP
OP
Devilmk4

Devilmk4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks i'll check the tire balancing i highly doubt is rotors since it doesn't happen hitting the brakes

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "if I let go..."? You mean get on or off the throttle? If throttle changes things, it's likely worn U-joints or severe wear in the rear end.

moineau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

re: 2005 Yukon XL, 2500, 8.1L, 4wd, 4.10 rear, 4-L85e

tires: Blizzak W965, LT265/75r16

Last Nov/Dec 2017, bought a used Yukon and I too am stuck with a vibration.

- it starts around 55mph <90kmh>
- increases in sound and slight physical shaking (vibrations) til 60mph <100kmh>
- then past 60mph, the vibration (and sound) worsens but then both diminish just past 70mph <115kmh>

Past 70mph, both vibration and noise are still prevalent and still easily noticed.

At over 70mph, letting off the gas and letting SUV slow by itself has the same effect sound and sensation as the speed drops

It seems quite consistent, so I drive 55mph only on hwy, even though I do not have a trailer behind... sad.

My normal cruising comfort would be 60-65mph, but that's dead on the worse vibration and sound...

As of this writing, I swapped tires, front to back and the sensation seemed to follow the tire location, meaning the steering doesn't seem to get the effect of vibration but the seat does. This means, IMO, that the tires are at fault. So had all tires balanced and turns out the "suspect" tires, now on the back were so out of balance the garage had to put "one pound", not ounces, pound of weights. The front tires (that do not seem to make the vibration) only required about 3-4 ounces to balance.

In my mind a tire that needs 16 ounces (1 lb) of weights should be replaced, but that's me, anyone have opinions on this, let me know.

We looked at the ball joints, they're needing to be replaced due to being tired looking and not being able to push grease in them, but they're not loose or seem to show much play (but are going to be replaced). The control arm bushings also look ok with no play, but at least one looks ripped up.

The last thing we looked at was the uJoints, none of which showed any major movement or sign of wear.

So my question (sorry for length)... What have anyone replaced that fixed similar problems?

Anyway, opinions are welcome as well as guesses, cuz right now that's what I'm up to, guesses. Some of the parts I listed are due to be replaced anyway but I would prefer to replace the parts that are responsible for the vibration as well as maintaining the truck.

I am thinking about rebalancing the drive shaft, changing ball joints, upper and lower, then the uJoints all around. I did see a posting about someone having a mis-aligned yoke or rear diff...?... any ideas?

P.S.: Tks go to my nephew for use of his a heated garage and generous time and knowledge.

Last edited:

larryN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

- increases in sound and slight physical shaking (vibrations) til 60mph <100kmh>
- then past 60mph, the vibration (and sound) worsens but then both diminish just past 70mph <115kmh>

Past 70mph, both vibration and noise are still prevalent and still easily noticed.

At over 70mph, letting off the gas and letting SUV slow by itself has the same effect sound and sensation as the speed drops

It seems quite consistent, so I drive 55mph only on hwy, even though I do not have a trailer behind... sad.

My normal cruising comfort would be 60-65mph, but that's dead on the worse vibration and sound...

As of this writing, I swapped tires, front to back and the sensation seemed to follow the tire location, meaning the steering doesn't seem to get the effect of vibration but the seat does. This means, IMO, that the tires are at fault. So had all tires balanced and turns out the "suspect" tires, now on the back were so out of balance the garage had to put "one pound", not ounces, pound of weights. The front tires (that do not seem to make the vibration) only required about 3-4 ounces to balance.

In my mind a tire that needs 16 ounces (1 lb) of weights should be replaced, but that's me, anyone have opinions on this, let me know.

We looked at the ball joints, they're needing to be replaced due to being tired looking and not being able to push grease in them, but they're not loose or seem to show much play (but are going to be replaced). The control arm bushings also look ok with no play, but at least one looks ripped up.

The last thing we looked at was the uJoints, none of which showed any major movement or sign of wear.

So my question (sorry for length)... What have anyone replaced that fixed similar problems?

Anyway, opinions are welcome as well as guesses, cuz right now that's what I'm up to, guesses. Some of the parts I listed are due to be replaced anyway but I would prefer to replace the parts that are responsible for the vibration as well as maintaining the truck.

I am thinking about rebalancing the drive shaft, changing ball joints, upper and lower, then the uJoints all around. I did see a posting about someone having a mis-aligned yoke or rear diff...?... any ideas?

P.S.: Tks go to my nephew for use of his a heated garage and generous time and knowledge.

larryN

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make sure your torque converter is locking up. If can cause speed specific vibration.

moineau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Make sure your torque converter is locking up. If can cause speed specific vibration.

Tks, never saw that coming... I will consider that as my "expensive" diags project.

I had a moment of weakness and just ordered the ball joints (they needed to be replaced, even though I don't think they R creating the vibration), and the Ujoints all around, which I am now starting to believe are culprits.

I spoke to my bro-in-law about a street/race car (which he built with a little help from me) where the drive shaft bolts at the diff were coming loose giving me a rumbling sound and needed to be re-tightened. I would pull off highway and re-tighten. The feel and sound I get are similar, so here's hoping I get it solved this weekend if parts come in on time. (was a 1982(?) ThunderBird, bored .040", 351, Windsor heads, and a complete Summit Racing engine kit, ate stock mustangs off the line and at the track... memories...)

Will post results of uJoints replacement.

Tks for feedback.

moineau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

Update:

Have yet to road test my Yukon but so far ALL uJoints were rusty and some seized where I had to use vice grips to remove caps. Some were rusty INSIDE the cap, no grease at all on bearings.

This is likely the vibration, waiting for a ball joint press that doesn't have a bent pin. Lower ball joint is rusted in and won't come out. Let U know when it's road tested, might have another source of vibrarion...

Tks for the suggestions so far.