Vertical Fender Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just add a steel cowl hood. It was used, so I am uncertain of its history. I had to have the hinges cut and re-welded to lower the back of the hood down where it belongs. Came out great. Now I have an issue with the driver's side fender. When I got the truck it was a little bit lower than it should be (even with stock hood). I can tell it has been re-painted as there are some sags in the paint that can be seen in some angles. They even re-pin stripped the fender as it sits. There is a tell-tale sign it is the fender as there is an angle lower on the door where the fender and hood should align. There I can tell it is about .25" off. Now to the main question... Is there a diagram somewhere which shows the steps to aligning the fender, or a diagram / tutorial showing where the mounting holes are located? I hate to remove 50 bolts to find I only needed to do a couple. Does anybody have experience with this? I anticipate enlarging some of the mount holes and possibly adding some shims.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick google search found thisIMG_9598.JPG
I would start top rear and bottom rear of fender and see how that goes. Im no body guy though. On my older cars/trucks just loosening and a shim or pushing here and there lined it up but I do remember those chinese fenders/body panels never lined up so well..

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did several searches and could not find anything. I was kinda looking for a schematic from an assembly manual or service manual. There is a bunch of electronics on that side of the truck, and didnt know if I need to loosen or remove any of that etc.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did several searches and could not find anything. I was kinda looking for a schematic from an assembly manual or service manual. There is a bunch of electronics on that side of the truck, and didnt know if I need to loosen or remove any of that etc.

Ya know, i bet a chiltons manual would have that....i dont have one though.....or do iiiiii....i may. Ill look when i get home later.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this video. It pretty is pretty much what I was looking for:
Looks like I have to remove the fuze box. I am not sure about the running boards, but probably will have to. Looks like I need to plan on a few hours to do it all.

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Found this video. It pretty is pretty much what I was looking for:
Looks like I have to remove the fuze box. I am not sure about the running boards, but probably will have to. Looks like I need to plan on a few hours to do it all.
The factory running boards have a 13mm bolt that attaches them to the same mounting point as the front fender. You probably don't need to remove the running boards entirely just loosen all of the bolts and remove the one that attaches the bottom of the fender and you're set. I converted my cateye duramax to the 05+ GMC front end and it wasn't bad to do at all.

I will say take your time tightening each bolt and move between them because it was very easy for one single bolt to knock the fender out of alignment when I was trying to rush it. As long as you're very deliberate though it really wasn't hard.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW, thanks! Is that from Chiltons? I have found them somewhat useless in the past, as they were generalized instructions. I may have to pick one up. I usually try to get factory service manuals which are great. I am still waiting for a digital version for these tahoes. I have only seen printed books online for about $350.

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. I was able to adjust the fender as much as I needed. I loosened all of the bolts after removing the inner fender. I then placed a bottle jack on top of the tire and pushed under the center of the fender - where it was sturdy. Then I tightened the bolts with the fender under pressure and adjusted. It was just enough. If I had to go more, I would probably have to remove the fender and elongate some of the holes as the studs on the firewall area were against the edge of the holes. Thanks all for the help. It was pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287

Latest posts