V3 radar detector hardwired w/ cig lighter switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Just figured I'd share. So I was hooking up my Uniden V3 radar detector this weekend, and discovered that those little round all-purpose 12v switches you can buy anywhere fit perfectly in the 12 outlet once you remove the actual recepticle behind it. I usually hide switches in a row someplace super low key, but I couldn't pass this one up. It fits right under the little flap.

I did dremel a couple mm into the top of the surround where the switch sits, just to recess it a bit but you really don't need that. Small bead of super glue around the edge held it in place. I didn't put the bead on the back side because I didn't want to lock up the little tabs that click the housing into place.

Also, stole power from the now-former 12v recepticle wires. Already a switched circuit and right there so it's super clean. Fused appropriately and pow.

Just thought the switch location thing was worth sharing. Cheers.e4d23ca52c1d5a842e5326c8a01e08f1.jpg325c3c684ba73579fb4df0c2e84da88a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, silly question...
Why did you hook it up with a manual switch instead of just RAP or ignition power?

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, silly question...
Why did you hook it up with a manual switch instead of just RAP or ignition power?
Not silly at all, dbbd. Good q... It is on ignition power (switched), so it turns on and off with the truck. The manual switch is typically in the 'on' position but is there in case I have to switch it off fast or during a stop while the truck is running. Keeps me from having to reach up (visibly) to the detector to do it.

Normally that wouldn't be an issue, but living in MD, I often drive into DC and VA, the radar detector no-fly-zones. I've run manual kill switches on detectors since 1993. So much habit that I don't even think about wiring it any other way lol

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm not near a state that does not allow them but I see your point. There have been times when I'm waiting somewhere (for one reason or another) and mine just keeps going off. Mute it, it stops alarming then starts up again, then I unplug it, until I move. Grocery stores are bad for that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm not near a state that does not allow them but I see your point. There have been times when I'm waiting somewhere (for one reason or another) and mine just keeps going off. Mute it, it stops alarming then starts up again, then I unplug it, until I move. Grocery stores are bad for that.
virtually no one uses x band or k band anymore it is either ka or laser, you can program the x & k bands off and you wont have those annoying door sensors making your radar go crazy 24/7

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With most newer detectors, you can disable any bands you want and even mark locations so it doesn't trigger there anymore...

brentj

Reaction score
With most newer detectors, you can disable any bands you want and even mark locations so it doesn't trigger there anymore...

Does your parking sensor or adaptive cruise control set off your radar detector? I thought I read somewhere that it would; that steered me away from buying a built-in detector

OP
OP
Pivot

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your parking sensor or adaptive cruise control set off your radar detector? I thought I read somewhere that it would; that steered me away from buying a built-in detector
No, the Uniden R3 (idk why the title says V3, I think my Autocorrect got me - mods, can you change that?) and many newer detectors have K filtering to reduce or eliminate the falses from the radar-using gizmos on so many new cars. I also don't get self-falses, but I do know some people who do with other setups.

The Uniden K filter and K Narrow feature help a lot. Of course anytime you do anything to reduce the amount of times your RD goes off, you increase, even incrementally, your odds of getting got. Not by a lot though, from all the reading and tests I've watched. Equitable trade-off.

I'd recommend Uniden R3 if you're still researching the purchase.

05alive

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Never been an issue with our own vehicles setting off the radar, but other vehicle's blind spot monitors set them off constantly when you pass someone or they pass you.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been an issue with our own vehicles setting off the radar, but other vehicle's blind spot monitors set them off constantly when you pass someone or they pass you.
which is exactly why I programmed out X & K band, I live a nice beep beep free life now, this works for me because no department around here or anywhere else that I know of use's x or k anymore, they use ka driving and laser when parked, the only thing that uses k band is the stupid traffic monitors they put up some believe that they take your picture, they don't, if they did I would have a thousand tickets already.