Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a call early Sunday morning and instead of being in church on the Lord's Day, sorry Lord, I wound up driving my folks and my children down to the Florida Keys for the day. Picked them up sixty miles from home, topped off the tank and headed south. MPG briefly went over 18 mpg! At the end of the day, with all the varied driving, I pulled back into my driveway near empty with the DIC showing 17.5 mpg.

Now let's see if we can get some work done on this thing before the much needed rains come!
Sorry i missed ya

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next time i crawl under mine i'll take a look n see if anything comes to mind

If youre trying to drill out the extractor good fuggin luck man :lol: you need to try and get it out first, try some reverse twist drill bits maybe.
I've got a stud on a turbo at the moment that broke off flush. i've drilled into it a few times but can't get it to budge either, need to grab another set of good drill bits to finish up

I bought three Norseman carbide tipped straight flute drill bits (USA), between $15 and $26 each that Norseman said would do the job. Well, maybe they would have with more penetrating oil and a steadier hand. The largest one did ok but was making too little progress and I didn't want to wreck the threads if I were going to have someone attempt to put a nut on them in any way.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey james, did you ever find out anything on some aftermarket tie rods?
been looking around and doesnt seem to be much available - because of rack and pinion?
i bought some rough country sleeves, they look kinda dainty on the pics but they came in- not to shabby lookin for ~$40
not that I was looking forward to spending 300+ for badass tie rod ends, but was hoping i could find something better, even if i had to drill out the spindle to a larger taper or something

20180416_194751.jpg 20180416_194743.jpg 20180416_194819.jpg

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
hey james, did you ever find out anything on some aftermarket tie rods?
been looking around and doesnt seem to be much available - because of rack and pinion?
i bought some rough country sleeves, they look kinda dainty on the pics but they came in- not to shabby lookin for ~$40
not that I was looking forward to spending 300+ for badass tie rod ends, but was hoping i could find something better, even if i had to drill out the spindle to a larger taper or something

View attachment 197056 View attachment 197057 View attachment 197058

I am not sure if you are lowered or not but thought I would post these up...

http://michiganmetalworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=138

If not maybe you could use a similar idea as the heim joints are pretty stout.

Not sure why you are looking for HD tie rod ends... hope this helps.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC Truck had those heavy duty ones but are quite expensive. The Rough Country ones I was going to buy and they only work on stock tie rods which are 1/2 inch in diameter. I went to measure mine before ordering and discovered that they are 5/8 inch diameter, been changed already. So for now that has been shelved.

Ken, the tie rod sleeves are helpful at the race track when launching in AWD/4WD.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if you are lowered or not but thought I would post these up...

http://michiganmetalworks.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=138

If not maybe you could use a similar idea as the heim joints are pretty stout.

Not sure why you are looking for HD tie rod ends... hope this helps.

I think that only addresses the outside of the tie rod, I was hoping to find a thicker inner tie rod

LMC Truck had those heavy duty ones but are quite expensive. The Rough Country ones I was going to buy and they only work on stock tie rods which are 1/2 inch in diameter. I went to measure mine before ordering and discovered that they are 5/8 inch diameter, been changed already. So for now that has been shelved.

Ken, the tie rod sleeves are helpful at the race track when launching in AWD/4WD.

Saw price was pretty steep, and wasn't sure if it would fit
20180417_092055.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wow! Sure is but then if you're racing you'll never need a tow home because it broke!

Fired up the truck today and ran what was my usual routine before my daughter started driving herself to and from school. Left the driveway at 15.3 mpg, time she hit the main road and adjusted for the remote start it was at 15.1 mpg. By the time we hit the line to pick up the kids it was 15.4 mpg and after ten minutes down to 15.2 mpg. Went down to 15.1 mpg, then off to the pharmacy and grocer and then back into the driveway at 15.2 mpg. Finally!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont