Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still on the same tank. Pulled out the Tech2 today to check the alcohol content, it's 20%. Fuel Trims at zero while cruising and at other times -5 to +5. City mileage is hovering between 15.5 and 15.0 mpg, lots of slow traffic, drive thru errands, rarely get to 45 mph and all stop and go. Huge difference and should only improve with next tank of fuel with lower alcohol content. It's getting hot out now too!

Still have much to do on that list; including that busted bolt!

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they way it determines ethanol content on mine is fugged up with the headers and no cats just a fyi...last probably 5-7 fills ups show as crap 46-60% ethanol. Seems to change if I fill up and drive like an ******* right after it'll show high % but "trying" to conserve it drops way down if I take it easy after filling

Sensor will be programmed over this week I'll see if it's just me.

****Was bugging me, so I dropped by tuner just to have him switch it over to actual sensor. Virtual showed 48% actual shows 80

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alcohol content on mine would move around too and then settle down after fueling. I do believe it had to do with the fuel remaining not having fully mixed in with that just taken on; sounds good anyway! Weren't you running E85? Same station or different ones? I seem to remember the alcohol content being different between stations and of course when switching over to gasoline.

Well, another round of errands here on the Treasure Coast through school zones and construction delays and now the mileage sits at 14.7 mpg. Still a huge improvement. Boy is it getting hot out! I thank God for cold AC in the truck, cools off in seconds!

Air Lift Springs were waiting at the door.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're on E85 @ 80%? My highest was 71% but you have the more accurate sensor added now too right? That's going to mess up peak performance I would think. The book says we're only to reset Fuel Trims and Alcohol content while on gasoline below 10% alcohol content. Wonder if there's a way for your tuner to get around that?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he cleared them while setting it up....I'm sure they were all messed up cause I've been running ethanol for a while with it not knowing the correct %

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call early Sunday morning and instead of being in church on the Lord's Day, sorry Lord, I wound up driving my folks and my children down to the Florida Keys for the day. Picked them up sixty miles from home, topped off the tank and headed south. MPG briefly went over 18 mpg! At the end of the day, with all the varied driving, I pulled back into my driveway near empty with the DIC showing 17.5 mpg.

Now let's see if we can get some work done on this thing before the much needed rains come!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last two tanks after E85 was with Chevron 93 and the percentages were 20% and then 11%. It was that latter tank that we ran down to the Keys on and back averaging over 17 mpg over 350 miles of varied driving and fully loaded. The previous tank averaged 17.5 mpg @ 75 mph and that was at 20% alcohol content. So last night another last minute trip came up and the closest filling station was Mobil @ $3.33 a gallon or Chevron @ $3.55 a gallon. We chose Mobil. Alcohol content after seven miles settled down to 5% and at 70 mph she barely eaked out 17.1 mpg and on the way back we were turning about 75 mph and pulled into the driveway with 16.4 mpg.

So Mobil is certainly not the king of fuel efficiency now; have to find a more reasonably priced Chevron. The last two fill ups were near my folks' home, sixty miles away and they are less expensive than that Mobil down the street.

I spent $60 on special bits to drill through that busted bolt and bent every one of them within seconds. The bracket is really jacked now and I've given up. Need to find someone trustworthy to get it out. Once the bracket and swaybar bushing is out of the way, the bolt sits proud. A nut could be threaded or welded on and then heated to break it loose. I have a torch but liable to set the truck on fire with my luck. I've been defeated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i missed something....what bolt on the sway bar? rear axle?

We were having trouble removing the original cats so I went to remove the front swaybar bracket and busted the head off one of the bolts. We've busted off an extractor and now several specialty bits trying to get it out. I was having some high school youngsters help me and did not see that the bolt was proud with threads exposed else I might have taken a different tact. Any experience with this?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next time i crawl under mine i'll take a look n see if anything comes to mind

If youre trying to drill out the extractor good fuggin luck man :lol: you need to try and get it out first, try some reverse twist drill bits maybe.
I've got a stud on a turbo at the moment that broke off flush. i've drilled into it a few times but can't get it to budge either, need to grab another set of good drill bits to finish up

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy