Used 2015/2016 Escalade ESV vs. Yukon XL Denali - which to buy & why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for an extended SUV, either a 2015 Escalade or a Yukon Denali.

I could consider the Suburban LTZ, but I'd like to have the bigger engine and 8 speed transmission of the other two (which the fully loaded Suburban does not have).
Additionally, I have ridden in the Escalade with Magnetic Ride Control Suspension Package (like the Corvette has), and the only other SUV that comes with it is the Denali, not the standard Yukon/Suburban.

So, with price being a factor, which one of the two should I be leaning toward? Obviously the top of the line Escalade has more bells and whistles than the Yukon Denali, but it also comes at about $10K more. Aside from the aforementioned extras and cosmetics, they are both almost the same with the engines, transmissions, suspensions, and major features.

Opinions/thoughts?

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I post this in the wrong section to not have received any opinions yet?

R0309

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I created an account just to answer your question. I'm not sure if you'll see my post, because if I'm not sure if there's a waiting period but here it goes.

In mid 2016, I was considering the Suburban, Yukon XL, and Escalade ESV. I test drove all of them several times, specifically the Suburban LT, LTZ, Yukon XL Denali, and Escalade ESV (I don't recall which trims or packages). Ultimately, because of cost and my desire for a second row bench seat, I went with a Suburban LT. I simply couldn't afford more, and wanted the second row bench.

About a month ago, Suburban LT was totaled and I was in a position to choose again. This time, I was able to afford more, and I went with the Yukon XL Denali for the following reasons. I do not mean to suggest this is the only right choice, but I think it was the right choice for me.

1) As you point out, the Yukon XL Denali and Escalade ESV have the 6.2 liter. This simply isn't an option on the Suburban. I will tell you, I don't notice much of a difference in a month of driving, coming from a year and a half of driving the 5.3 liter.
2) Magnetic Ride Control is standard in the Denali and the ESV. Again, coming from having not had it for a year and a half, I don't notice the difference. I also fear it will be an expensive fix one day, but I don't know.
3) Both the higher end vehicles have the active noise cancellation. This isn't as dramatic as it sounds, but the older I get the more I appreciate a quiet cabin after spending ten or so years putting the most aggressive treaded tires I could on pickup trucks.

This obviously got me to where you are though - ESV vs. Denali or maybe an LTZ if it grabbed me and the price was right. I went with the Denali for three primary reasons - 1) Unlike the LTZ and ESV, you can actually find Denali's out there with a second row bench, some people, many even, prefer the second row bucket seats - I am annoyed you can't have it in the front row with any trim level except the Suburban LS. I like a lot of seats - better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Plus it's so easy to get into the third row even with the second row bench. Secondly, I prefer the look of the Denali overall. My wife describes this as "the Escalade looks like you're trying to hard." I have also heard "Escalades are for people who want to look like they have money, the [Yukon] Denali is for people who have money." Finally, and most importantly for me - there is no integrated brake controller on the Escalade. Not even as an option. I don't do a lot of towing, but fact that if I had an Escalade and needed a brake contoller it would be under the steering wheel like an on old pickup bothers me to no end and suggests to me the Denali is a better thought-out vehicle. Add to that my Denali has a 4WD LOW and HI as opposed to the AWD/4WD HI of the Escalade, and it was a no brainer.

All of this said, I would likely buy a Suburban LT again and be very very happy knowing what I know now a month in. I am happy with my purchase, but guess I'm just not sensitive enough to the larger engine or the magnetic ride control. Good Luck.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I created an account just to answer your question. I'm not sure if you'll see my post, because if I'm not sure if there's a waiting period but here it goes.

In mid 2016, I was considering the Suburban, Yukon XL, and Escalade ESV. I test drove all of them several times, specifically the Suburban LT, LTZ, Yukon XL Denali, and Escalade ESV (I don't recall which trims or packages). Ultimately, because of cost and my desire for a second row bench seat, I went with a Suburban LT. I simply couldn't afford more, and wanted the second row bench.

About a month ago, Suburban LT was totaled and I was in a position to choose again. This time, I was able to afford more, and I went with the Yukon XL Denali for the following reasons. I do not mean to suggest this is the only right choice, but I think it was the right choice for me.

1) As you point out, the Yukon XL Denali and Escalade ESV have the 6.2 liter. This simply isn't an option on the Suburban. I will tell you, I don't notice much of a difference in a month of driving, coming from a year and a half of driving the 5.3 liter.
2) Magnetic Ride Control is standard in the Denali and the ESV. Again, coming from having not had it for a year and a half, I don't notice the difference. I also fear it will be an expensive fix one day, but I don't know.
3) Both the higher end vehicles have the active noise cancellation. This isn't as dramatic as it sounds, but the older I get the more I appreciate a quiet cabin after spending ten or so years putting the most aggressive treaded tires I could on pickup trucks.

This obviously got me to where you are though - ESV vs. Denali or maybe an LTZ if it grabbed me and the price was right. I went with the Denali for three primary reasons - 1) Unlike the LTZ and ESV, you can actually find Denali's out there with a second row bench, some people, many even, prefer the second row bucket seats - I am annoyed you can't have it in the front row with any trim level except the Suburban LS. I like a lot of seats - better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Plus it's so easy to get into the third row even with the second row bench. Secondly, I prefer the look of the Denali overall. My wife describes this as "the Escalade looks like you're trying to hard." I have also heard "Escalades are for people who want to look like they have money, the [Yukon] Denali is for people who have money." Finally, and most importantly for me - there is no integrated brake controller on the Escalade. Not even as an option. I don't do a lot of towing, but fact that if I had an Escalade and needed a brake contoller it would be under the steering wheel like an on old pickup bothers me to no end and suggests to me the Denali is a better thought-out vehicle. Add to that my Denali has a 4WD LOW and HI as opposed to the AWD/4WD HI of the Escalade, and it was a no brainer.

All of this said, I would likely buy a Suburban LT again and be very very happy knowing what I know now a month in. I am happy with my purchase, but guess I'm just not sensitive enough to the larger engine or the magnetic ride control. Good Luck.

Wow

Let me say on a purely personal level, I appreciate (more than most posters will likely realize) your empathy and spot on analysis of my dilemma of features vs. price point.
That combined with you starting a profile just to empathize with me is appreciated!

I value the 9 seat capability vs. the seemingly common and desirable 7 seat captains chairs issue Sub's or variant in the Xl, Denali or Esv.
While I certainly do not need a 9 passenger capability on a regular basis, it is nice to have when you need to legally/safely transport 9 vs 7.

That said, the ride smoothness on the Yukon XL (cannot remember if it was a Denali) rental going 110 mph and it felt like 85mph was impressive.
It reminded me of an Acura lease that was so much smoother than your typical Honda or other lower end car.
Hopefully I will find an owner who needs to make a change, and I can pick up a decent Denali or Escalade ESV for the right price, rather than pay extra +++ with a dealership who has on in on trade.

`

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I had the choice I would go with the Denali (not a 15 go atleast 16) partially because in the long run your going to have more parts availability versus the cadi there's just not as many sold so any trim parts for example are going to always be even more cost, at least with the Denali many of the parts are the same as the higher package chevys it's just a smarter choice in my opinion and I say 16 not 15 because the 15 is new year model.

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I had the choice I would go with the Denali (not a 15 go atleast 16) partially because in the long run your going to have more parts availability versus the cadi there's just not as many sold so any trim parts for example are going to always be even more cost, at least with the Denali many of the parts are the same as the higher package chevys it's just a smarter choice in my opinion and I say 16 not 15 because the 15 is new year model.

Are there any features or changes that make the 2016's a better choice than the 2015's?
I ask because the 16's are obviously going to be newer & have less miles, therefore more expensive in many cases (for the same features).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any features or changes that make the 2016's a better choice than the 2015's?
I ask because the 16's are obviously going to be newer & have less miles, therefore more expensive in many cases (for the same features).
everybody has a different opinion on it but new year models are an experiment in my opinion as the redesign goes on they fix (usually) all the little or big things that go wrong.
whatever you decide test drive the heck out of it first there are a lot of reports of strange booming noise's and from what I have read it seems to be the that roof is very thin metal and is a cause, some report strange shaking at low speed and have had everything under the sun done to try and make it go away and just end up selling them off, I guess they either come out of the factory really well made with no problems or they have issues of one form or another.

Tommyb80

Reaction score
Great thread! I'm looking at pre-owned Yukon XL's and am going with the Denali because I want the bigger motor. Don't necessarily need it, but it's tough to find an SLE or SLT with the bigger motor. I've read on this forum that the 15's had wind buffeting issues so I'm trying to stick with a 16 or low mile 17. Best of luck in your search!

OP
OP
V

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread! I'm looking at pre-owned Yukon XL's and am going with the Denali because I want the bigger motor. Don't necessarily need it, but it's tough to find an SLE or SLT with the bigger motor. I've read on this forum that the 15's had wind buffeting issues so I'm trying to stick with a 16 or low mile 17. Best of luck in your search!

Well Tom, I am glad you like this thread/theme.

As it turns out I went for an Escalade ESV based on price more than anything else. That is right, I found an ESV at the same price or better than a Denali XL. However, there is a catch in that mine is a early build Escalade, minus the 8 speed transmission. There are a few other features it is missing compared to the mid year 2015.5 model Escalade, thus me starting the following thread to help perspective buyers know how to differentiate and the differences;

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thre...rly-build-2015-escalades-and-the-15-5s.99895/

I am not sure if the same is true of Denali's, so I might incorporate that into the aforementioned thread to help out if that is the case.

`

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhmjr