Upper control arm problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aquacure

Reaction score
Breaking everything down to replace upper and lower ball joints. Hub completely off and both control arms hanging free. Upper on drivers side has a lot of resistance when trying to raise it and will come back down on its on, feels like a rubber band. The passenger side is completely loose and will even stay all the way up if raised. I can also feel a little play while pulling and pushing on it. Is it totally blown out and needing replacement?? I didnt think to check the bolts while I was out in the shop, could they just be loose?

slow4dr

Reaction score
The bushing might be seized onto the frame bracket and/or inner sleeve.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Breaking everything down to replace upper and lower ball joints. Hub completely off and both control arms hanging free. Upper on drivers side has a lot of resistance when trying to raise it and will come back down on its on, feels like a rubber band. The passenger side is completely loose and will even stay all the way up if raised. I can also feel a little play while pulling and pushing on it. Is it totally blown out and needing replacement?? I didnt think to check the bolts while I was out in the shop, could they just be loose?

If there is any play in those control arms then yes they need to be replaced. As for the driver side it's sounds like it is ok as long as it seems to rest in a position close to ride height.
Control arms, when installed, should not be tightened to specifications until the the vehicle is at ride height supporting its own weight or you'll have premature bushing failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts