Upper control arm bolt removal, tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acetone and tranny fluid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
That's the stuff! Acetone works for regripping golf clubs too!!

I pussed, I had it towed, we are working to get our house on the market in the next couple weeks to get out of this little town and I just don't have the time to hack away on the bolts with my saws all. Need the rig up to pull a trailer to start clearing out the house. Other than this doing wheel bearings, tie rod ends & lower ball joints was pretty easy. Just have to remember to grind enough material off the top of the lower ball joints before hammer time and they come out easy. And have a 36MM and impact for the axle nuts in the front and don't put the backing plate on wrong on the passenger side or you have to take everything back apart!

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@al2fast,

3 steps in my posting above, whack, turn and oil. Assume the shaft nuts and nut-end camber plates have been removed:

Whack the shaft (nut-end with nut on, to prevent thread damage), turn the shaft with a wrench (on its hex-head with an extension bar), and spray WD40 or PB Blaster through D area (flat section on the shaft, which is like an oil path).

Repeat above 3 steps.

As long as the shaft is turning, you are at the end of the tunnel.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember.... pics or it didn't happen.... lol

I'm sorry, no luck. My daughter kept waking up and my old pup (14) was having a rough night to. Maybe tonight ;)

Acetone and tranny fluid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yes sir, good stuff right there.

That's the stuff! Acetone works for regripping golf clubs too!!

I pussed, I had it towed, we are working to get our house on the market in the next couple weeks to get out of this little town and I just don't have the time to hack away on the bolts with my saws all. Need the rig up to pull a trailer to start clearing out the house. Other than this doing wheel bearings, tie rod ends & lower ball joints was pretty easy. Just have to remember to grind enough material off the top of the lower ball joints before hammer time and they come out easy. And have a 36MM and impact for the axle nuts in the front and don't put the backing plate on wrong on the passenger side or you have to take everything back apart!

No shame in throwing in the towel my friend. We've all been there.
As long as your back up and running its a win win situation in my book.

@al2fast,

3 steps in my posting above, whack, turn and oil. Assume the shaft nuts and nut-end camber plates have been removed:

Whack the shaft (nut-end with nut on, to prevent thread damage), turn the shaft with a wrench (on its hex-head with an extension bar), and spray WD40 or PB Blaster through D area (flat section on the shaft, which is like an oil path).

Repeat above 3 steps.

As long as the shaft is turning, you are at the end of the tunnel.

Man, now we're talking about whacking, turning and oiling the shaft.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, no luck. My daughter kept waking up and my old pup (14) was having a rough night to. Maybe tonight ;)

Yes sir, good stuff right there.

No shame in throwing in the towel my friend. We've all been there.
As long as your back up and running its a win win situation in my book.

Man, now we're talking about whacking, turning and oiling the shaft.

Ha! I had lube dripping everywhere and I was whacking the shaft so much my forearms were getting sore!!!! Had a mushroom forming on the end of the shaft from all the whacking! I couldn't get the Double D nut to bust!! The inside bolt head by the strut spring wouldn't budge. I'm pretty confident if I could have had it down for another week I would have had the time to either get them to break loose or to cut them out. The shop guy said they just cut them out, couldn't get the bolts out either. Take it easy guys!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! I had lube dripping everywhere and I was whacking the shaft so much my forearms were getting sore!!!! Had a mushroom forming on the end of the shaft from all the whacking! I couldn't get the Double D nut to bust!! The inside bolt head by the strut spring wouldn't budge. I'm pretty confident if I could have had it down for another week I would have had the time to either get them to break loose or to cut them out. The shop guy said they just cut them out, couldn't get the bolts out either. Take it easy guys!

:boobs::Jedi::hump:

Hahahaha, love this thread.

Well, I'm glad its all sorted out.
Where do you live?

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Wisconsin, about 60 miles north of Milwaukee. Very happy with the results, noticeably smoother on the city and highway the little bit I drove it yesterday. Going to put over 100 interstate miles on it today and tomorrow, but the short run yesterday was showing the vibrations/shuttering I would feel at 70+ mph were no longer there.

Only thing I'm on the fence about is the Arnott shocks I put in the front. They are smoother than the old shocks but it feels more like I'm driving a boat now, a little mushier and more disconnected from the road. My factory shocks were shot and were pretty stiff feeling so not sure if I'd have replaced them with new autoride shocks if it wouldn't feel very similar. Either way she's good to go now. Only needs to run me about 3 more years til I got grad school paid off and I can get me a new one.

I had some BFG ATKO2 a little over a year ago that I pulled off because I couldn't get it to ride for a shit on the interstate, shuttering and some shaking at times like it was tires/rims. Put on Discoverer AT2 and it was better but still not great, still regret getting rid of the 33's. I was at 3 different shops and they all told me I was crazy it rode fine and the tires aren't going to ride like my old 22" Bridgestones. All I could think is why would anyone buy a new Raptor with the KO2 that ride like that? With having done a bunch of maintenance on my YD already I was pretty determined to figure out what the deal was. After my rear shocks croaked I started down a path I couldn't get off of....And then that's when all of the lube and whacking got involved and I finally got to finish:) Take it easy, got to go give my wife some attention now!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345