Upgraded radio to navigation but concerned....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darren Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello every one I got a question, I bought a 07 Tahoe navigation off eBay and I want to put it in my 07 Yukon XL it has the bose system I’m not sure if that’s important to know or not, but I connected it today and got theft lock I called the dealer and they said it’s $60 to reprogram it , I haven’t taken it in yet cause I seen a lot of articles saying people with Silverado‘s have tryed to do this upgrade and had to have the dealer program program it as a 06 Monte Carlo with etc. with the tech-2 tool, here is my question am I going to need to tell them to do the same thing and print it for the information on it? Long story short I just don’t want to waste more money then needed.

-Thanks your your help and time reading this any help is appreciated !!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM radios are VIN-locked and need to be unlocked by a dealer or someone with the necessary equipment (TechII, etc.). When that unlocked radio is first powered up in the vehicle, it gets programmed with that vehicle's VIN and is then "married" to it. I bought a Nav radio off Craigslist and shipped it to a guy in California that specializes in unlocking, but he charges $100. I went this route because of the horror stories I read of dealerships not doing something quite right and bricking the radios. $60 is a deal, but if they screw up, there's a good chance they won't own it because it's all too easy to say the radio you gave them was defective. For the extra $40 (plus about $15 in shipping), you're pretty much guaranteed to have it done correctly. But, if you know of people that have had your local dealership perform this successfully, then you may be in luck.

If you're interested, look up CPS A/V in Cotati, California (cpsmobileelctronics.com). They guy's name is Greg.

OP
OP
Darren Miller

Darren Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your help I appreciate it I’ll give them a call and see if they will do it for me thanks again!!

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help I appreciate it I’ll give them a call and see if they will do it for me thanks again!!
What do the radios with nav sell for and do they have to reprogram it to another vin or can you leave it open so anyone can use it after reprogramming?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do the radios with nav sell for and do they have to reprogram it to another vin or can you leave it open so anyone can use it after reprogramming?

Depends on where you get it. I've seen them for $100 from private sellers on Craigslist to over $500 on eBay. Some sellers pre-program it with the VIN you provide and some leave them unlocked so they'll grab the VIN when the new owner plugs it in and turns the key the first time.

OP
OP
Darren Miller

Darren Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my radio for 275 on eBay and it looks brand new but unfortunately I got to try to unlock it .

OP
OP
Darren Miller

Darren Miller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just don’t see a point in spending $400 when I probably won’t us it more then once to be honest, I have access to a snap on reader that let’s me get pretty far into the system it just doesn’t let me get that far unfortunately.