Upgrade questions, cam etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been diggin on here looking for some answers not having much luck. My Tahoe is right at 200k it's the flex fuel 5.3. It's my daily driver and I plan on keeping it for many more years. So I'm looking at getting a jump on a rebuild and some upgrades. I don't want anything extreme just a better cam with a little chop and maybe heads? Or upgrade heads on it. Headers,tune and do a trans rebuild. My biggest questions is regarding cam and trans info. What cam will give it a good boost in power mainly bottom ?Also what convertor would be good as well. I'm gonna get some 4:11 gears for it as well. I don't do any heavy towing my tires are 34x12.50x17. Any help would be appreciated.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a ton of performance info here, but my suggestion would be to talk to black bear about your goals. They would be able to recommend what would work best together.

Also, you could check out PT net

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set up your truck how you want it as far as wheel size and rear gear ratio. These factors will need to be known first so the best cam and converter can be determined. It all has to work together.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires are already on that's the 34's I mentioned in first post and was looking at going with 4:11's.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does that make your motor an L59? If so, your stock specs are 191-190 .457-.466 114. Crane Cams has a drop in cam that works with stock engines that added about 40 horsepower, check out this link: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ls-cam-test-comparison/

The first Crane Cam (1449501) is 200-200 .502-.502 113, the other (1449541) I think was 200-208 .502-.502 115.

Cam Motion, Comp Cams, Vinci, Brian Tooley all have low lift cams and they like Texas Speed also have higher lift cams which call for headers and higher stall converters.

Prior to today, I was seriously considering an LY6 or LH9 camshaft for mine but then Brian Nutter at Summit Racing reminded me about that article and Crane's 200-200 cam.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get a cam spec'd for a truck and not a car or you'll lose low end torque. HP is one thing but there's other factors to keep in mind. I would suggest actually talking to the cam grinder and explaining your goals before committing to such an important characteristic of your truck. I had a great experience with Roger Vinci of Vinci High Performance- he helped me out and answered emails even on weekends. Great customer service.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get a cam spec'd for a truck and not a car or you'll lose low end torque. HP is one thing but there's other factors to keep in mind. I would suggest actually talking to the cam grinder and explaining your goals before committing to such an important characteristic of your truck. I had a great experience with Roger Vinci of Vinci High Performance- he helped me out and answered emails even on weekends. Great customer service.
I 2nd Vinci. He has the only site that separates his cams out from car to truck, gives you can specs, where they make power and how they sound. U can the pick your converter based on cam specs.

OP, he has some torque cams that may suite your needs and you wouldn't need a high stall converter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk