Unsteady voltage at idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyR

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why my voltage isn't steady when idling. It doesn't drop a substantial amount, but the needle on the voltage gauge basically vibrates and the odometer lights slightly flicker. All of my battery connections look solid and when driving or on the highway it's steady as a rock. Makes me worried that maybe my alternator is starting to get weak on me.

mooman

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas why my voltage isn't steady when idling. It doesn't drop a substantial amount, but the needle on the voltage gauge basically vibrates and the odometer lights slightly flicker. All of my battery connections look solid and when driving or on the highway it's steady as a rock. Makes me worried that maybe my alternator is starting to get weak on me.
What is the range of the guage?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be nothing, could be a bad cell in battery, or even a problem with the alternator, I would take it to sears or autozone or anyone that does a free battery test just to eliminate that and go from there.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check and clean the engine and body grounds, too.

OP
OP
TommyR

TommyR

Reaction score
What is the range of the guage?
It flutters right at 14V it doesnt drop a huge amount. The needle just vibrates and my gauge cluster lights will slightly flicker. Doesnt move more than a volt or volt and a half I'd say

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
My 1997 Suburban did that for a long time. It was the voltage regulator in the alternator causing it. And testing it would always show good at the auto parts store just cause it was putting out the required voltage. Also, I was having a slight parasitic drain on my battery. After sitting like two weeks or more, my battery would be low as heck or even dead, it was the alternator also. I just changed it one day and problems solved. No more bouncing voltage gauge and flickering dash lights and no more battery drain when I let it sit for long periods.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Replaced my alternator and the problem went away. I am guessing it was my voltage regulator as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts