Underhood Light????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got all my stuff in the mail, one question on the LED reverse lights. I have never messed with LEDs like this and they came in a anti static bag, is there any precautions I need to take other than make sure I plug them in the correct polarity?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got all my stuff in the mail, one question on the LED reverse lights. I have never messed with LEDs like this and they came in a anti static bag, is there any precautions I need to take other than make sure I plug them in the correct polarity?
Nope that's it. And if you wire them backwards it won't short them out, they just won't work until you hook them up right.

MrMagoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How about the light from a NBS? I added LED strip lights and wired them into my factory light that comes on when I open the hood. Cost was less than $10 for the added lights, the original light can still be bought new.

img_6004-jpg.71463

img_6005-jpg.71464

I like this! Might you have a up close shot of how you did the wiring on light assembly?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this! Might you have a up close shot of how you did the wiring on light assembly?
Kind of although it doesn't show it too good. In the first picture, that back piece of the light housing can be removed for access to the back side of the brass tabs that hold the bulb, and then I drilled a hole for the wire to go through then soldered to the tabs. I have a deutsch kit for waterproof wiring connectors so I used that to add a connector for the wire so I can unplug it and remove the light assembly but you can use something simpler or wire it direct.

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6001.JPG

Tractoman

Reaction score
I am about to install a mercury switch like I have in my '98 Suburban. Not the greatest but better than nothing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not use a OEM light like mine? It has a gravity switch and would be pretty easy to mount.​

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it has a piece of metal inside it that falls onto the contacts when it gets close to vertical. Simple.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some door jamb switches. 2 for under $5. My LED reverse lights, LED underhood lights, and switches should be here by the 12th.
2 mods for less than 20 bucks. Damn, I'm a cheap Bastach.

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I've got some led strips and such laying around. If I can snag door jamb switches for a few bucks and follow your lead I'll totally take a shot at this sometime. Really need some light in there.

Crazy the stupid little things that GM cheaped out on with this truck, its their top trim level Escalade! No underhood light, rear courtesy lights, or footwell lights. Not to mention the cabin filter. Stupid.