Uggg do I have front carrier bearings going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solve one issue and onto the next. I have an odd noise that isn't consistent. Seems to be more prevalent when warm. Sort of sounds like as if I'm dragging something under the rig. Part throttle or deceleration seems to trigger it. Speed also is a factor. Usually around 35-65 mph is when I notice it. Doesn't change in pitch and doesn't matter if I'm turning or traveling straight. Damn, like I have the $$ for this

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well can someone answer me this: are all carriers from 2008-2014 the same for the SUV and trucks with exceptions of ratios????

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well can someone answer me this: are all carriers from 2008-2014 the same for the SUV and trucks with exceptions of ratios????

Are you talking about hub bearings or the bearings on your diff carrier?

The hub bearings I do believe are the same, maybe with the exception of Denalis. You can use rockauto.com or GM parts direct to cross reference part numbers between the models.

As far as rear ends go, I'm not sure. Haven't cracked open my rear end but I can't see why GM would go to the trouble to have separate carriers. Again, check rockauto or GM parts direct to cross reference part numbers.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to gmpartsonline.net, number 18 in this diagram would be your carrier bearing unless I'm blind and dumb. For that, they show...

07 Yukon 5.3 4WD SLT P/N is 19299090
07 Yukon Denali is 20997053

I guess they are the same but the diagram is identical.

291ef12c4601211970a585503a7193ec.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that's what I found too. Was thInking of buying a used front diff due to time constraints and the fact I do not have any dials or gauges to measure anything for bearing replacement. There's a small mom and pop auto repair place the fella that owns it does killer works on diffs but I haven't gotten a hold of him yet for a price.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For used parts look at LKQ and Car-part.com. You can search my make, model, trim, engine, drivetrain, etc. Might find something local from a wrecked truck. Then it's just turning wrenches.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my drivers side hub started going, it almost sounded like a tire noise (rubbing or similar). It would grow louder until about 35 mph and then go away. After looking around the introwebz, I found several videos noting a similar noise so I dove in and changed both front hubs. Got the noise.

Anyway, it was about as involved as putting on a leveling kit and changing your brakes, at the same time.

If you can't narrow it down, you might just have to take a stab at your best guess and go from there.

OP
OP
Ponchonutty

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. That's what my drivers side bearing did which I replaced a few months ago. It was still real tight and there wasn't any wheel movement. I checked the passenger side too and no movement. I checked the passenger side again a few weeks ago and it was still tight. Checked it again this morning and I had about 1/4" movement!!!! I noticed when driving it the last two days it would change in pitch going around curves like a bad wheel hub does. Odd thing is that it never did that until now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01