Two problems with steering wheel buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started to pull the steering wheel buttons in my 04 Yukon Denali to replace the bulbs with blue LED's. I got the top buttons done but the bottom buttons won't come out. It almost feels like the wires are too short to get them out far enough. Is there another way to take the steering wheel apart to get at the plugs and pull the switches?

The second problem is when I put the top buttons back in they're assignment got screwed up. I have an aftermarket head unit and I can assign commands to the buttons. The problem is SEEK UP triggers the onstar. Is there a way to reprogram the buttons on the truck side of things so they work properly? I don't think the issues is with the PAX interface to the radio because the TALK button used to trigger onstar and it did even with the factory radio but not with the aftermarket one.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, no clue about the programming of the buttons, but as far as removing them, it's a LOT easier if you remove the airbag first. Once you get the airbag unclipped, you can get a LOT more slack on the wires.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im fixing a custom steering wheel I’ve made for my 2006 Denali, pulled the steering wheel out a couple times. I push them out gently from the backside, and then right when the button is at the edge of the hole it fits in, I take a small flathead screw driver and gently put it into the opening where the clip is on the pigtail and push it down til it disconnects.

OP
OP
E

EfiniMotorsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. My next step was going to be to pull the airbag. Need t wait until space opens up at the shop because my BMW is torn apart in the garage at home. Any ideas on what happened with the buttons getting reassigned? I was thinking maybe pulling the battery and see if that fixes things.