Tuning out afm and cam swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do it.

and no this thing aint knockin on 12s :lol:

Id have to prob regear, get a better converter, drag radials, get the front end to stay down, and drop a couple hundred lbs to get anywhere near close with hp where it is now.

keeping the front end down im already working on
and i will prob get a better converter, prob same stall just single/multi disc

once cold weather returns i'll be able to see if anything i did helps, otherwise i'll just be happy if it pulls the same times as the last few months throughout the summer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Our neighbor in Jupiter, @randeezm, has done a cam swap and such and is a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Last time I checked, his Denali was up around 500 horses and knocking on the 12s in the quarter mile.

Hey Chris, have you been to Palm Beach International Raceway before?

Many, many, many times. I used to drift and would be up there about once a month either drifting or watching. Have a bunch of buddies that still do. I ran my Silverado down the 1/4 a day after I bought it lol

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many, many, many times. I used to drift and would be up there about once a month either drifting or watching. Have a bunch of buddies that still do. I ran my Silverado down the 1/4 a day after I bought it lol

Good! I think it would be fun to get together again when it cools off. Last time, there were three of us and the fourth was broke down and couldn't make it. There's enough of us here between Saint Lucie and Broward to triple that number next time.

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
Good! I think it would be fun to get together again when it cools off. Last time, there were three of us and the fourth was broke down and couldn't make it. There's enough of us here between Saint Lucie and Broward to triple that number next time.

I definitely have to replace my motor and trans mounts before then lol

tst1212

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe, and after reading here, I'm getting so!d on the idea of a AFM delete, cam and lifter replacement. Can someone give me a rough estimate as to how much it cost? Also, any ideas where to get it done in the DC area?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500 DIY, add at least 10 hours of labor to have someone do it

to swap what needs to be swapped atleast and tune.
if higher mileage id suggest swapping out the oilpump, clean the heads up, have a little more incase you break/or find other broken parts

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1500 DIY, add at least 10 hours of labor to have someone do it

to swap what needs to be swapped atleast and tune.
if higher mileage id suggest swapping out the oilpump, clean the heads up, have a little more incase you break/or find other broken parts

This.

Something else to consider: For example, in my case, I don't wanna dump $1,500 into a 200K-mile 5.3. Sure, it runs strong, doesn't smoke, etc., But still. For around $2,000, I can get a LY6 or maybe even L9H and swap it in just as easily (probably more easily, actually) and have more power with OEM reliability and no wonky lifters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01