Tuning Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BPopilek

Reaction score
Hey all! So I am working on building up a cast iron 6.0 LQ4 block to replace the stock 5.3 in my truck (2008 Yukon). I'm also going to be installing a 4L80E transmission at the same time. I have just about all of the parts ordered for the engine, and I'm just waiting to get the block back from the machine shop so that I can start assembly. Once I get this built, I know I am going to have to have the computer flashed to support the new engine without AFM and the new transmission. My question is where to get the tune done and what the cost of it is expected to be. I was told that I could buy an HP Tuner to flash it with. And a performance shop I called, quoted me $500 to create a tune to use with everything. At that rate, I'm going to be spending close to $1200 on getting it tuned, and that seems a bit excessive. I've already spent way more than I intended on getting the block prepped and the parts ordered. So I want a tune that is going to work without breaking the bank. Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The performance shop should be able to tune your pcm and tcm. No need for you to have hp tuners unless you want to program it yourself.

OP
OP
BPopilek

BPopilek

Reaction score
The performance shop should be able to tune your pcm and tcm. No need for you to have hp tuners unless you want to program it yourself.
I Live in Michigan, and the shop that I called is out of Florida. So he made it sound like I had to have my own equipment to do the flash. This is a shop that is well known to my mechanic friend, which is why I talked to them first. I haven't found any local shops to do a tune where I live yet. I have seen Black Bear mentioned on here quite a bit. How good are they and what do they charge? Or am I better to find a local shop? New to all of the tuning stuff! ;-)

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to maintain the ability to tune it yourself down the road? Any future modifications planned for it that you won't have right off the bat?

We offer options for just a tune outright for you as well as full tuning software to tune it yourself, including tuning to help get you going.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And you probably already have this covered, but the LQ4 engine by definition uses a 24x reluctor on the crankshaft. Your 2008 system requires a 58x reluctor. That must be changed on the LQ4 crankshaft.

OP
OP
BPopilek

BPopilek

Reaction score
And you probably already have this covered, but the LQ4 engine by definition uses a 24x reluctor on the crankshaft. Your 2008 system requires a 58x reluctor. That must be changed on the LQ4 crankshaft.

Yes I already have a new reluctor ring on hand that will be installed on the crank. As far as tuning goes, I need something intially to get it running and driving after the engine is installed. Then probably tuned up after driving it around for a bit. I do plan to add a turbo to it later on, so I believe it will need to be tweaked for that as well.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, great.

It sounds like the EFILive V2 would be a good option for you if you do intend to be able to make changes. It is a bit more expensive than HPTuners, but we would provide full tuning for you now and down the road at no additional cost.

Another option is the AutoCal, which is priced quite a bit lower than the V2 and would not permit you to make any changes yourself, we would make them all for you, but has the same lifetime tune update policy.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
@BPopilek I went with black bear for my needs. they can get u set up on a tune to get her going. then change it up for you as u change things.

OP
OP
BPopilek

BPopilek

Reaction score
Okay, great.

It sounds like the EFILive V2 would be a good option for you if you do intend to be able to make changes. It is a bit more expensive than HPTuners, but we would provide full tuning for you now and down the road at no additional cost.

Another option is the AutoCal, which is priced quite a bit lower than the V2 and would not permit you to make any changes yourself, we would make them all for you, but has the same lifetime tune update policy.

Either option sounds like it would probably work. I don't necessarily need the ability to make the changes myself if there are unlimited tunes. I am interested in the cost of each option and the turn around time to get the flash files.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either option sounds like it would probably work. I don't necessarily need the ability to make the changes myself if there are unlimited tunes. I am interested in the cost of each option and the turn around time to get the flash files.

The V2 is $899, the AutoCal is $599. Turn around time would be the same on either and really depends on our workload at the time. We're a bit backed up at the moment, but getting better on that each day.

We do have an expedited service option for $50 which would get same day service when files are sent in before 2pm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2