Tuner in the socal area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BigPaw

Reaction score
So got an email back from Jarrad at black bear performance and apparently I need to have an affidavit to tune my truck in person for off road use only and that it couldn't be tuned in person for daily driver use and that my only option is to buy the autocal. WTF! He said because I'm in California they needed paper work to do an in person tune for off road use only. What kind of ******** is this? I think it's an upsell scam to buy the more expensive product. [emoji848]

Never heard of this backwards ass law in tuning your truck.

Justin from black bear, hope you can chime in because your boy Jarrad never replied back with the reason why. Maybe you can.

If not, I guess I'll be looking else where.

So, like my post from up top says, anyone know a good tuning shop in the socal area that would take care of a guy to tune his truck for daily use and not need paperwork?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me that Kalifornia would have such stupid laws. A tune would need a CARB number right?
Maybe the laws have changed since November when Justin did my truck. I still don’t know about that though as my truck was a simple tune and I didn’t need any paperwork and nothing was mentioned about this topic. I’m curious to see what Justin has to say.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So got an email back from Jarrad at black bear performance and apparently I need to have an affidavit to tune my truck in person for off road use only and that it couldn't be tuned in person for daily driver use and that my only option is to buy the autocal. WTF! He said because I'm in California they needed paper work to do an in person tune for off road use only. What kind of ******** is this? I think it's an upsell scam to buy the more expensive product. [emoji848]

Justin from black bear, hope you can chime in because your boy Jarrad never replied back with the reason why. Maybe you can.

So, like my post from up top says, anyone know a good tuning shop in the socal area that would take care of a guy to tune his truck for daily use and not need paperwork?

Sounds like typical Cali smog laws.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you haven't heard of California laws regarding vehicle tampering/modification, I would encourage you to look into the egregious fines that CARB has extorted from thousands of companies simply for doing business in the state.

Jegs was fined $850K for selling parts to CA that *may* be used in vehicles certified for on-road use.
Summit Racing was fined $599k related to sales and advertising of non-exempted aftermarket performance parts in California.
Bully Dog was fined $281k for selling handheld tuners.

Wal-mart, Home Depot, Pep Boys, Target and dozens of other companies have all been individually fined over $50K for selling something as basic as the wrong windshield washer fluid.

ATP Trucks we recently forced to stop ALL tuning as part of a settlement with the government in addition to an undisclosed fine.

Sorry, but this is not something that we will be able to discuss any further on a public forum for pretty obvious reasons. You are welcome to find another tuner that is willing to take on the risk of complete destruction of their business/livelihood, we will not. It has nothing to do with an upsell, our profit margin is actually smaller on the AutoCal than other tune options.

OP
OP
B

BigPaw

Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks Justin for clarifying. Wasn't aware of any of the mentioned. It's just baffling that an in person tune is prohibited, but a mail order tune is fine. I just don't understand that rationale. It's basically the same thing, just I do it myself with your assistance.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks Justin for clarifying. Wasn't aware of any of the mentioned. It's just baffling that an in person tune is prohibited, but a mail order tune is fine. I just don't understand that rationale. It's basically the same thing, just I do it myself with your assistance.

The difference is we are requiring you to certify to us that it will not be used on any public road when done by mail. That cannot be done when the tune is performed in person, by definition.

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

PM me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu