Tune Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would think a bigger plug socket wouldn't work. all the others were 5/8ths. I looked at it and nothing apers stuck on it. it is very frustrating. can I perform a compression test on the other cylinders with that plug still in? I have a slow coolant leak somewhere and have done everything thing else to determine it and it's showing negative. I did a black test and got no change in the chemical. that's the whole reason I changed the other plugs and wires. I figured I'm taking them out to compression test so might as well change them. fixed most of the slight rough idle I had.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only said to try a bigger socket just to see if it would go over the plug, thinking it's possible someone put a wrong plug in it that's a bigger socket size or just to see if it would go on. Just trying everything. You definitely want to figure out what's up with that plug, the longer it stays on the more likely it will seize in the head and there's obviously something wrong with it. Compression tests on the other cylinders can be done no matter what though.

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
okay I will keep trying. I know they are not the original plugs because they were Bosch. next stop is my mechanic if I can't get it. I'm worried they won't be able to get it though. and then idk what I will do.

cptmoney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK - about the plugs.....gapped to what and torqued to 11 ft/lbs, correct?

Don't put anything on the plug threads - but a little dielectric grease on the wire ends - correct?

I don't wanna mess this up! Haha!

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Gap should be .040, but platinum or iridium plugs should already come pre-gapped. Don't worry too much about torque on the spark plugs it's doubtful you'll be able to get a torque wrench on all 8 anyhow. Just snug them down and tighten another 1/16 of a turn. There is no crush washer on these plugs so they tighten quickly. I chose to put anti seize on the threads, but don't put any on about the last 1/4 of the threads towards the cylinder side. I use a small brush to smear a small amount of dielectric grease inside the spark plug boots. That should do it!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay I will keep trying. I know they are not the original plugs because they were Bosch. next stop is my mechanic if I can't get it. I'm worried they won't be able to get it though. and then idk what I will do.
Any update? I'm curious about that plug.

pizzle

Reaction score
i helped a buddy with these and the plugs closest to the firewall are damn near impossible

juggernaut

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
update:
for the life of Me I can't get it off. at this point I'm ready to take it to my mechanic. I just hope he can get it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14

Latest posts