Truck powers down at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you'd be willing to go pull your negative cable for 10 minutes and post the radio results?
Don't need to, I've done it a few times when recalibrating my HVAC due to swapping out the control modules. Memory is gone every time on mine. Ground is just as important as positive in a 12v system. Now, if you want to place money on it in order to make it worthwhile, I'll video it. My HU is a Sony so it's not stock. It's possible a stock HU has NVM memory for antitheft but I have no knowledge of that.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't need to, I've done it a few times when recalibrating my HVAC due to swapping out the control modules. Memory is gone every time on mine. Ground is just as important as positive in a 12v system. Now, if you want to place money on it in order to make it worthwhile, I'll video it. My HU is a Sony so it's not stock. It's possible a stock HU has NVM memory for antitheft but I have no knowledge of that.
Its possible it's changed over the years and like you said you have an aftermarket HU. I'm obs with stock and can pull the negative without issues. Pulling the pos will remove presets. Dunno

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that a "super capacitor" resides in certain radios, so that if the neg. cable is pulled, the memory is retained?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that a "super capacitor" resides in certain radios, so that if the neg. cable is pulled, the memory is retained?
It's possible. Usually a capacitor will discharge over time though although it could take quite awhile. But removing the positive cable should have the same non- effect.