Truck powers down at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SBellew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, this has happened twice now, once last night and once today on my way to work.

Last night I was sitting at a red light and the truck just shuts down, starts right back up and only thing I notice odd is that my radio presets are cleared.

Today on my way to work, on the interstate doing about 75 and everything just powers off, When I pull over, I have 0 power to anything, no lights, dings, radio or click. I get out and wiggle my battery terminals and the light under the hood comes on and the truck starts right up.

I have not had any issue like clicking or dragging while starting up. The alternator gauge runs around 14volts when truck is running.

Anyone had this issue before? Just wondering what to look for here.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poor battery connection
Yes and positive connection to be exact. Negetive terminal shouldn't reset your radio pre sets.

Get some sand paper out, scrub everything down and re tighten it all

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and positive connection to be exact. Negetive terminal shouldn't reset your radio pre sets.

Get some sand paper out, scrub everything down and re tighten it all
What he said!
Maybe swap out them stoopid factory side post lugs for some 1/2 inch bolts so you can get a good tighten on them..

OP
OP
SBellew

SBellew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Had my alternator and battery checked. Steel brushed the posts and cables when putting it back together and so far, no more issues.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
negative cable can reset your presets because no mater what post it is you cut of the electric path to battery.
So you'd be willing to go pull your negative cable for 10 minutes and post the radio results?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
unless the radio installed has a non-volitile memory for them they will be gone. same goes for any setting that uses a similar memory setup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts