Trivial question about the cargo area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PumaHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
It's almost summer time which mean that all of those Tahoe projects can finally become a reality.

The summer bucket list so far is:

Change my current wheel and tire set up to improve ride quality
Trouble shoot and fix the WOT shifting issue
Fix the ghost code that keeps coming up. (Most likely a grounding issue)
Replace the rusted out exhaust trumpets (tips, ends, whatever they are called)
Detail and recondition lights, side markers, trim etc...
Replace the center arm rest (current one is broken)
Replace the side mirrors with electronic closing ones (The parking area at home is very tight)
Fit a small tear in the drivers seat
Replace the cargo door shocks
Find another steering wheel (there is a thumb tear tdc)
Come up with some kind of a fuel filler door lock.
Black out the front grill
Give it a proper tune
Find something to cover the back louvers (I just don't like them)
Make the cargo area more rugged

The main reason why I'm posting this is that I need to find a solution that will protect the cargo area and make it more rugged. I buy sell and trade things that I find in storage lockers for a living. The back area of my Tahoe is getting thrashed as it's the only thing I have to haul things and all of those dump runs are really starting to take it's toll.

If I have to I will diy it but before I get started on that one, I thought that it might be a good idea to see if there is something out there that I can buy that will protect it and not take a week to design, fabricate and install. It needs to hold up to dirt, water, mud and needs to be made out of something that will still let me put things on it and slide it to the front as I load it. Must be large enough to go from the cargo door to the first set of seats.

I welcome any and all advice.

Thank you for taking the time out to read this :)

-Matthew

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Funny as I just saw these last night and had an idea for them.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Garage-Flooring/N-5yc1vZb97t

Interlocking rubber garage floor tiles. Can be cut with scissors. Plan it right and cut it just right so if you want to use the second row you can just take out certain tiles and not an entire floor.

Saw a pack for $24 for 13 Sq ft. Oem rubber mat is $100+ and only covers the cargo area.

OP
OP
PumaHoe

PumaHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Funny as I just saw these last night and had an idea for them.

http://m.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Garage-Flooring/N-5yc1vZb97t

Interlocking rubber garage floor tiles. Can be cut with scissors. Plan it right and cut it just right so if you want to use the second row you can just take out certain tiles and not an entire floor.

Saw a pack for $24 for 13 Sq ft. Oem rubber mat is $100+ and only covers the cargo area.

These are going to work perfectly! Thank you so much :)

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Haha no problemo. Like I said I just saw them last night and had me thinking the same thing. Glad I can help. :Handshake:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I can't remember who, but this subject had come up before, and someone suggested using a heavy duty type mat from one of those tractor supply stores. Cmon @05Single I bet you remember.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Not me, I don't think, we don't have tractor supply stores in alaska lol.

But I know what you're talking about as far as the mat itself. See with the tiles you can move each tile separately to clean or whatever instead of an entire mat. Plus those mats are seriously like 100lbs and a pain to deal with.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounded like you wanted to protect the entire rear cargo area- sides, back of seats, etc. I was gonna suggest getting replacement plastic trim panels from a wrecked Tahoe, replacement carpet and/or a model-specific mat (or the stuff mentioned in the previous posts), and whatever else needed to replace all the damaged stuff then invest in a small trailer to do the dirty work.

OP
OP
PumaHoe

PumaHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounded like you wanted to protect the entire rear cargo area- sides, back of seats, etc. I was gonna suggest getting replacement plastic trim panels from a wrecked Tahoe, replacement carpet and/or a model-specific mat (or the stuff mentioned in the previous posts), and whatever else needed to replace all the damaged stuff then invest in a small trailer to do the dirty work.

Thanks for the idea! The rest of the cargo isn't as bad, I tend to stack up the boxes and whatnot in the front and the messy stuff in the back. Usually I have only the back window open as I try to cram in as much stuff as I can lol. Ideally I would love to have a trailer but I'm cramped for space atm. If I end up moving this summer to a bigger place a trailer is going to something I'm going to look into.

I plan I doing a salvage yard trip within the next week or so, if I stumble upon a set of panels I might have to add that to my things to do list.

TahoYukon Forum

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I have an idea, how about weather Tek floor liner that I think has a 1-2 inch sides, then line perimeter with those "
Interlocking rubber garage floor tiles. Can be cut with scissors." That 05Single suggested. Line up with those floor tiles around perimeter to protect the side panels and set bottoms on inside of floor mat lip. Maybe duct tape the floor tiles or sumthing. I transport computer towers and just noticed my wall panels are getting scuffed dangit.
I will be doing this soon my self cause trailers are fricken pricey ($2k for a baby 5x8, no options)
Good luck and welcome. ☺

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792