Trimming guide for fitting 35's with a 6" lift *covers trimming requrements for ALL width wheels*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xFuZzYx

IASCA Car Audio World Champion
Reaction score
So I feel as though its common knowledge around here that if you are running a 6" suspension lift on a 2000-2006 tahoe/yukon/escalade and you want to run 35"x12.50" tires that you will have to do some trimming around your front fender well so tires that big can fit.

Well, I have had a 6" lift on my 2002 Tahoe for almost 2 years now and I have owned wheels that were 17x9's with only -12 offset all the way to 20x14's with -76 offset and I have first hand experience with everything you will need to trim to allow the best fitment possible depending on how wide of wheels you want to run with your 35"x12.50" tires.

***All of this information is based on 35"x12.50" tires and I do not know how much these cut lines will differ if you decide to run any other size tires!!!***

Here is a picture for you showing off 3 different cuts you may need to do depending on your lift setup and wheel width:

cut lines.jpg

So as you can see there are 3 lines drawn on that picture. You have a red and orange line on the front of the fender well and a purple line on the back of the fender well. (Original pic is from 20Hoe3, I just added the colored lines in paint)

***Here is what these color coded cut lines mean to you based on how much lift you have and how your lift is done***

*** If you are only running a 6" lift and your torsion keys are in their stock position (meaning you do not have a leveling kit/ ford 3" lift keys stacked on top of your 6" lift) then this is what these lines mean to you: ***

+ If you are running wheels that are somewhere in between 0 and -24 offset, then the red line is the only trimming that you should have to do to have full clearance.

+ If you are running wheels that are somewhere in between -25 and -44 offset, then the orange line is the only trimming you should have to do to have almost completely full clearance.

+ If you are running wheels that are somewhere in between -45 and -76 offset, then you will have to do trimming alone the orange and purple line in the pic to get extra clearance.

+ NOTES +

+ If you are running 12" wide wheels with -44 offset you might get some rubbing on the back of your fender well near the purple line if you are only running 6" of lift without anything else adding extra lift, I have heard some people saying they have some rubbing going on there and other people claiming that they clear that back corner, I think it is one of those situations where it just depends on the specific vehicle, what model it is (LS, LT, z71) and the tires they are running.

+ If you are running 14" wide wheels with -76 offset with only 6" of lift then you are going to have horrible fitment and rubbing issues and without doing completely ridiculous amounts of cutting beyond what is covered here, you will still rub no matter what. These cut lines are just what I recommend so you can at least turn your wheels enough to safely drive down the road without ruining your tires.

*** If you are running a 6" lift and you also have a leveling kit stacked on top of your 6" lift to achieve 8.5"/9" of total lift in the front OR if you are running a 8"-9" suspension lift (like the McGaughy's Suspension lift) then this is what these lines mean to you: ***

+ No matter what width wheels you are running, as long as you are only running 35"x12.50" wheels then I believe the only trimming you should need is the red line along the bottom of the front bumper.

+ If you are following this write up, have 8.5"/9" of suspension lift in the front, made the red cut line, and you still rub and decide that you need to make the orange or purple cut lines on your truck, please post here and let me know all of the details of your wheels/tires/lift so I can update this for future users!

+ NOTES +

+ As stated above, I have never ran more than 7" of lift on my Tahoe, so if there is anyone else here that has ran more lift than me and has ran wheels with heavy negative offset (-44 to -76) that knows first hand how much more trimming you would need to fully clear your tires, please chime in and let me know!!!

*** HOW TO MAKE THESE CUTS ***

+ If you are doing the red cut line, as long as you have a steady hand and can make a clean cut, all you need is a dremel because the only material that you are cutting through is plastic.

+ If you are doing the orange cut line, you will need something a little stronger, a sawzall is what I used to make my cut line with through the metal part of my front bumper.

+ If you are doing the purple cut line, this cut is referred to as the "NorCal Mod"
*Watch this video explaining how to do it correctly, they get way more in depth than I can!*

+ Final Notes +

+ Wheels that fall in between 0 and -24 offset usually includes the following wheel sizes: all stock wheels, and most 17x9, 18x9, 20x9, 20x10, 22x9.5, 22x11, and 24x11 (basically anything under a 12" wide wheel regardless of wheel height)

+ Wheels that fall in between -25 and -44 offset are pretty much only going to be 12" wide wheels as -44 is considered the normal amount of offset for 12" wide wheels.

+ Wheels that fall in between -45 and -76 offset are pretty much only going to be 14" wide wheels as -76 is considered the normal amount of offset for 14" wide wheels.

+I know there are 16" and now even 18" wide wheels with even more offset than -76, but I would never recommend running these on a truck that doesn't have a solid front axle as they will cause way too much stress on the stock IFS parts, plus you would easily need 12"+ of lift to clear them when turning.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you have any comments/questions please post them below and I will help out anyone and everyone that I can. I want to help everyone get the best stance and offset of their truck that they possible can!​

Last edited:
OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
Is there any chance this thread is sticky worthy?
I put quite a bit of time into it as I always see people asking about fitting 35's and what kind of trimming they need to do so I figured I would just make a massive write-up covering pretty much everything they will ever need to know.

Here are some pics of my front bumper and how much I trimmed it for everyone to see:bumpercutdriverside.jpg
bumpercutpassengerside.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
Is there any chance of this getting pinned at the top of this section? I feel like this would help cut down on all of the people constantly asking questions like this...

Kbkiller

Reaction score
Great info!! I just took a hammer to the inner cab fender well and tech screwed the plastic to it on my sierra with 35x12.5 toyos with 5 or 6 in backspace and 1.5in spacers. I need to do this cuz it still rubs a little turning on a bump.

OP
OP
xFuZzYx

xFuZzYx

Reaction score
Great info!! I just took a hammer to the inner cab fender well and tech screwed the plastic to it on my sierra with 35x12.5 toyos with 5 or 6 in backspace and 1.5in spacers. I need to do this cuz it still rubs a little turning on a bump.

Thanks man, I'm glad the info will help you out! And I'd love for you to post up some pics so we can see exactly what you are talking about, any lifted Chevy looks good to me as long as there isn't more body lift than suspension lift lol, but even trucks with body lifts look good if done right.

Kbkiller

Reaction score
20151129_154437.jpg
I just saw this post and it's dark outside so this is all I have in my phone. I go take some pics real quick and see what they look like. 20170220_194657.jpg 20170220_194727.jpg
You can't see what I did but it gave me some clearance. I'll get better pictures Wednesday afternoon in the daylight at full crank.

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
Anyone know if I could fit 35s on a 3/2 lift on my NBS and if so, what total trimming would it need, + what backspacing and width?
Or would I have to go taller no matter what? Because I feel like there's a lot of room in these wheel wells.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if I could fit 35s on a 3/2 lift on my NBS and if so, what total trimming would it need, + what backspacing and width?
Or would I have to go taller no matter what? Because I feel like there's a lot of room in these wheel wells.
I've seen people do it but it requires a lot of trimming. You could probably put a 33 on a 10 wide and only cut into the front bumper and little to no metal trimming in the back, maybe a slight NorCal mod, if you go with a 12 wide you'll probably need to take a big chunk out of the front bumper like the one already posted and a full NorCal mod

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I'm considering making my own off-road style front bumper eventually, so I'll have to take that into consideration when I do that. You're running 33s, right Nick? @02_Tahoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts